Thursday, February 22, 2018

Once more to the Runfessional...

The last Friday of the month means it's time for RUNFESSIONS!

This is only my second time visiting the runfessional, but it's good for the sole (see what I did there?) so I'm happy to be linking up with Marcia once again.


I runfess that I haven't been out for a real run since New Year's Day.


Since I'm transitioning to forefoot running, it's like trying to learn to run again. So far, most of my runs this year have been in my living room. I'm OK with that because I want to be smart about this transition. BUT I runfess that sometimes it's hard seeing so many long distance posts on social media.


I have to remind myself that slow and steady will win this race - and to just be proud of my fellow runners for their accomplishments.




I runfess that hearing running will ruin my knees makes me a little sad.


My dad had a total knee replacement around Thanksgiving. He made several comments to me when I was visiting him in January about how running was going to ruin my knees. I just laughed it off, but it made me a little sad. Especially since he was a casual runner himself.


@EnjoytheCourse is runfessing today. What do you have to #runfess?

I runfess I got all passionate about running at work a few weeks ago.


Our conversation went a little something like this...

Coworker #1: Hey, Clarinda. When was your last marathon?
Me: Hmm. Not since 2014.
Quizzical look on her face.
Me: Oh, well, I ran a really great half marathon at the beginning of December.
Coworker #2: Don't sell yourself short! That's still really impressive.
Me: For sure! But she asked a very specific question. 😆
Coworker #1: Anything more than a mile is a marathon to me.
Me: 😲😜😝
Coworker #1: When's your next race?
Me: I haven't been running much because I'm focusing on changing my running form.
Coworkers 1, 2, & 3 all turned and looked at me all wide-eyed, minds blown. There are different running forms? I thought you just went out and ran!



And then I started talking a bit about forefoot running and Coworker #3 started googling it and validating what I was saying.

It was totally fun!


I runfess that I'll take that as a compliment.


Unrelated to the convo above, another coworker who I hadn't seen in a couple months was in the office on Valentine's Day. He made a comment on how he could tell I'd lost a lot of weight. And then asked me how I did it. I told him that I hadn't actually lost any weight, but that maybe it had shifted. I guess all the yoga and Tone It Up workouts have been working.



I runfess that I was more annoyed with my husband when I recounted the conversation. Apparently, I put too much emphasis on the a lot part of his statement which made it sound more like a back-handed compliment to my husband.



What do you have to runfess? Do you get insulted by back-handed compliments or take them at face value? How do you answer when someone asks about your last marathon when they probably mean your last race?

Have a great weekend, y'all!

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

19 comments:

  1. No one asks me about running any more because they know I'll just blather on and on.... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best running gal pal and I have a joke...out of the blue, one of us will find a new race and tell the other,"I found us a neat-looking 10K marathon we should do." Her and I snicker at our wit, and the (non-running) people around us just don't see the humor LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad had a knee replacement a few years back and did none of the rehab and now can barely walk. That's typical of my dad. Now he asks me if I'm "too old" to be running marathons. Seriously. Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad was pretty diligent about doing his rehab, at least while I was there. I was pretty happy to see that.

      Delete
  4. LOL, sometimes it's odd to have conversations with non-runners, especially since they don't know the amount of miles for a marathon, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I do try to give some slack though because growing up my uncle was a marathoner, but before I decided to run my first marathon, I didn't really understand the distance thing myself.

      Delete
  5. Yeah....I might be on your husband's side but that's because I don't think weight should be brought up in a conversation ever unless it's between you and your doctor or therapist or trainer. Random conversations could go more like - "Wow, you look really good! Have you been doing anything different with your workout routine? Looking strong!" But, that's just me and I struggle(d) with body image issues for the bulk of my life. That said, I'm glad you took that in stride as the compliment that person intended it to be. :)

    It's funny that people say that running is bad for your knees when it actually isn't! I mean, running on injured knees and not doing anything else (strength training) to build up those muscles surrounding the knees is bad for the knees but not running specifically.

    And I just posted on Tuesday about that whole "how far is a marathon?" thing! Haha! People are so funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree, that weight shouldn't really be brought up at work, but I also know this guy isn't the most tactful in the world. :) I tried to just be flattered. :)

      Running isn't bad for your knees, but bad running definitely can be. Bad running = no strength training, over-training, etc.

      I'll have to check out your post !

      Delete
  6. I get so tired with people saying that they can't run before they have bad knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It was especially sad coming from my dad, though, who was once a runner himself. :(

      Delete
  7. It is a great website.. The Design looks very good.. Keep working like that!. a course in miracles free

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, cool post. I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article... but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. Capital Gains Tax Advice

    ReplyDelete
  9. This article is an appealing wealth of useful informative that is interesting and well-written. I commend your hard work on this and thank you for this information. I know it very well that if anyone visits your blog, then he/she will surely revisit it again. East Grinstead Accountants

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am incapable of reading articles online very often, but I’m happy I did today. It is very well written, and your points are well-expressed. I request you warmly, please, don’t ever stop writing. Tax Advisors Tax Accountants

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this is one of the most meaningful information for me. And I'm animated reading your article. But should remark on some general things, the website style is perfect; the articles are great. Thanks for the ton of tangible and attainable help. Crawley Accountants

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, excellent post. I'd like to draft like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article. This post has encouraged me to write some posts that I am going to write soon. East Grinstead Tax Accountants

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for an interesting blog. What else may I get that sort of info written in such a perfect approach? I have an undertaking that I am just now operating on, and I have been on the lookout for such info. Tax Accountants Crawley

    ReplyDelete