Wednesday, February 28, 2018

5 Heart-Pumping Workouts You'll Want to Try Now

American Heart Month has nearly come to an end, but we all know that taking care of our hearts goes beyond just the month of February. After all, heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women. While we can't control all the risk factors that may lead to heart disease, being active and eating healthy can help reduce the them.

The American Heart Association recommends getting in 40 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise 3-4 times a week.

Such activity helps reduce your risk of heart disease by:

  • Preventing and managing high blood pressure
  • Improving blood circulation
  • Boosting your levels of good cholesterol
  • Helping to manage stress levels

You don't need to pay for a fancy gym membership to get in a good workout!

I've rounded up 5 heart-pumping workouts that you can do right in the comfort of your own home!

5 Heart-Pumping Workouts


Ultimate EMOM Kettlebell Workout by Salads for Lunch


EMOM = Every Minute On the Minute 
You do the number of reps indicated for each exercise and then rest until the next minute starts, then do the next exercise until you've completed them all.

Exercises include:
Curtsy Lunges | Push-ups | Kettlebell Towel Row | Burpees | Dumbbell Squat Push-Press | Plank with Shoulder Taps | Jump Rope

This will work your entire body and certainly get your heart a-pumping.


28-Minute Total Body Interval Workout by I Am Teacher Fit


Instead of incorporating rest between each exercise, this interval workout calls for a full minute of each exercise. Move quickly between each move and then rest for a full minute between circuits.

Exercises include:
Circuit 1 - Alternating Back Lunge with Curls | Bridge with Chest Flies | Alternating Forward Lunge with Shoulder Press | Jump Rope | Jump Squats | Bicycle Crunches
Circuit 2 - Deadlift to Upright Rows | Dumbbell Thrusters | Push-ups | Squat Jacks | Box Jumps | Starfish Crunches

You'll be glistening like a MOFO when you're finished with this one.

@EnjoytheCourse brings you FIVE at-home workouts to get your heart pumping. #AmericanHeartMonth

15 Minute HIIT Workout at Home by EffiFit


HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training
Are you sensing a theme here? Intervals are such a great way to pump that heart! This workout proves you can get in a great sweat with only 3 exercises! 

Exercises include:
Burpees | Plank Jacks | Squats

See how many rounds you can finish in 15 minutes!


Sweat Equity Circuit by Running on the Fly


Did you know you may be forgetting about one of the best pieces of fitness equipment built right into your house? Your stairs! That's right. Put those stairs to great use with this workout. It's a total body workout by adding in a strength move between each stair set.

Exercises include:
Stair Climbing | Hammer Curls | Upright Rows | Shoulder Presses | Biceps Curls | Triceps Extensions

Hit them stairs!


Bosu Body Blast Full Body Workout by Confessions of a Mother Runner


Want to put your balance to the test while getting your sweat on? This Bosu Ball workout is for you! This circuit workout includes 3 sets of different exercises. Do each set twice.

Exercises include:
Set 1 - Side Lunges | Deadlifts | Jump on/off
Set 2 - One Legged Bicep Curl | Squat with Press Up | Crunches | Jack Knives
Set 3 - Mountain Climbers | Plank | Push-ups

If your heart's not pumping at the end, you may be dead. 

5 Heart-Pumping Workouts

I haven't been to a gym in many years and get all my workouts done in the comfort and privacy of my own home.


Do you workout at a gym or at-home? Which of these workouts do you want to try first? What's your favorite way to get your heart pumping?

Sources about Heart Disease:
Physical Activity Improves Quality of Life
Exercise to Prevent Heart Disease
Heart Disease Fact Sheet

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

18 comments:

  1. I love doing at-home workouts too! You can for sure break a sweat in your own living room and these all sound like great cross-training workouts to mix in with my running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Chelsea! These would all be great for cross-training!

      Delete
  2. These are great workouts! I love my BOSU ball but I definitely don't use it as much as Deborah does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to look into getting a BOSU ball of my own. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm all about working out at home (to save on driving time and money) and making do with what's available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do most of my strength training at home and I love to mix it up. The kettle bell workout look like a fun one to try. Thanks for sharing my Bosu workout It's one of my favorite pieces of equipment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you love your BOSU! I hope you try the kettlebell workout. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  5. These all look great!!! I love getting my HR up while doing strength workouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! It makes the strength workouts more fun, I think.

      Delete
  6. I used to workout at home all the time, but since starting CF haven't done that. I'm going to do Rachel's challenge this month, so we'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I did CrossFit or had a gym membership, I probably wouldn't work out as much at home either. Good luck with Rachel's challenge. It should be a good one. :)

      Delete
  7. These are all great ideas! I really need to get back into doing strength training!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great strength training makes for an even greater runner. :D

      Delete
  8. Excellent! These kinds of workouts are always great for those rainy/snowy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! A great way to forget about any dreariness outside.

      Delete
  9. At home workouts are definitely very convenient. I appreciate having the ability to workout at home on either bad weather days or on days when driving to/from the gym just isn't possible.

    ReplyDelete