Thursday, December 28, 2017

I Runfess....

I runfess that... I've never runfessed before. I kept meaning to, but every month this year has come and gone without visiting the Runfessional. Nothing like jumping in at the last chance. 😜

I'm linking up with Marcia at Marcia's Healthy Slice for the Final Runfessions of 2017.


I runfess that... I'm a little nervous about my big 2018 running goal. I'm committing myself to transitioning to forefoot running, and it's SCARY!


I love running for fun, and I'm going to miss just getting the bug and hitting the road or trails on a whim. I plan to take the transition nice and slow, which means cutting way back on running while I work on form.

Along those lines, I runfess that... the end of the winter RW Run Streak is coming to a close in just a couple days. It will be a bittersweet end. 40 days of running at least a mile a day is a long streak for me. On one hand, I'm tired and looking forward to a break. On the other hand, I know these last couple runs will be the last for me for awhile.


Speaking of the RW Run Streak, I runfess that... I got a little (ok, maybe a lot) annoyed at the people in the FB group that complained about walking not counting for the streak. I don't mean to be a running snob, but if you aren't able to run a mile every day, then why not do a different challenge?


I wouldn't join a cycling or yoga challenge and then ask if it was OK to run or lift some of the days instead. We all have our limits. I know quite a few of you who don't streak because you know your body wouldn't like it. I don't know why it bothered me so much this streak, because I have done the streak in the past with walking days instead of running days. I think the difference is that I didn't make a big public deal about it.



I runfess that... I saw that Lululemon is doing another 40/80 challenge in January. I already have a huge case of FOMO about it!


I almost decided to push my forefoot running goal back another month or so to do the challenge. Must. Stay. Strong. And Focused.


That's it for me!

What would you like to #runfess?
What's annoyed you lately that maybe shouldn't have been such a big deal?
Tell me about the biggest, scariest running goal you've ever set?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

33 comments:

  1. You should definitely runfess more often. Clarinda. Nervousness is a natural thing. I really hope you will achieve your goal! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And, I hope to continue runfessing in 2018. :)

      Delete
  2. Are you going to do the Lulu/Strava challenge? I did it last year, ran the 80 km, and was rewarded with Lulu shorts and a top! I wonder if they will do that this year? A caveat....treadmill miles do not count. You have to run outside. You can walk, tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried it last year, but my GPS watch was so old it didn't sync and my Strava app crashed during my runs, so I missed out on the sweet rewards. I was going to skip it this year because running in January will be very minimal, but walking. Hmm. Maybe that opens it back up to me.

      Delete
  3. Glad to see you Runfessing! It's a fun post to do. Congrats on your run streak and I totally think walking should count. The whole idea is just to stay active right?! Hope to see you at the Ultimate Coffee Date next weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah! I hope to continue runfessing next year and definitely plan on joining the Ultimate Coffee Date next weekend. :)

      Walking during a run is OK, but walking on it's own just isn't a run streak, imo. But yeah, if you're doing it to push yourself to stay active, then yeah, but if you're pushing yourself to run streak, then no. :D Just my opinion, of course.

      Delete
  4. Yup, that's exactly why I can't do the running streak. My knees will not let me run everyday, so that's why I just do an "activity" streak where I make sure I get in at least 30 minutes of some activity everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Streak the way you can, but don't dog on people who streak differently. You get it. :)

      Delete
  5. Welcome to monthly runfessing.

    I agree. I wouldn't sign up for a streak and not do it or complain about. You don't see me streaking.

    GL with your goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope to continue in 2018. :) Of course, I said that to myself all of 2017. LOL

      Delete
  6. Doesn't it feel good to get all those Runfessions out in the open? I agree the backlash that flies around during the Streak (from some of the Streakers themselves, and also AT them) is crazy. I truly respect everyone has their own thing, and we all have our own reasons for streaking (or not). Why can't we all just get along? ;-) Then there's the treadmill lovers/haters...LOL Congrats on making it through the Streak! Woot!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! It does feel good. And yeah, let's not get started on the treadmill lovers/haters. ;)

      Delete
  7. Yay, welcome to the dark side of runfessing! ;)

    You'll do great with forefoot running. I'm sure the transition will go much quicker and smoother than you're anticipating. You'll just have to be more cognizant until it becomes second nature. I might have missed a post, but why are you changing your running form anyway?

    Have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! Glad to have finally joined. :) I haven't really gone into great detail on my reasons, so you probably haven't missed a post. Look for one in January. :)

      Delete
  8. Those complaints remind me of the complaints about "millenials" expecting a prize for everything. ;-) I don't do those streaks because I think it's too much of a hassle to get suited up and sweaty for just one mile. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! That's true. Streaking is kind of a hassle for just a mile, which is why I only ever do the Runner's World streaks because they are relatively short. ;)

      Delete
  9. I agree I think you've got to know your limits before starting one of these challenges. My legs don't like daily running so streaking for me with the walk option would be tough. Good luck with your form goal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the Runfessional ...it is so fun,isn't it?? Regarding the streak ..I don't streak because I'd get injured and like Coco, I hate to get all 'dressed out' just for one mile on some days. However, I think a running streak should be just that, a running streak not a walking streak. But that's just my opinion.

    Good luck with your transition to forefoot running. I'll be interested in following along with that journey. At my age, I don't think I could change anything I do regarding walking or running!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're definitely on the same page on the streaking, Teresa! I think the worst thing for me was the RW didn't stand their ground when questioned about the validity of walking.

      I hope you will follow along next year on my transition! I'm officially over 40, so making such a change might be hard, but more than age, I think 10+ years of running is what will be the bigger hurdle.

      Delete
  11. Thanks, Karen! Streaking isn't for everyone. I get it. You get it. I just wish that everyone did, you know? :-D

    Balance is hard. I've been really slacking on IG lately. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll be excited to hear how barefoot running goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't mind people fixing challenges to suit their needs - if it helps people to be more active, I'm all about that :) But I can see where the annoyance might arise, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I tend to be a huge rule follower, sometimes to a fault. LOL

      Delete
  14. I love the Runfessions series...it's so nice to have a prompt to get my writing juices flowing. I am eyeing the Lulu/Strava challenge but it is so brutally cold in Chicago right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to keep runfessing in 2018. :) It's all about the layers, right?! Maybe it will start warming up tomorrow. ;-)

      Delete
  15. Mad props for the maiden voyage into the Runfessional right under the New Year's wire! Many moons ago, I switched from forefoot to heel strike (because I didn't know any better)....and then (once I got a clue)back again. You can do it!Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. Thanks, Marcia! It just going to take some good focus and determination. :)

      Delete
  16. I agree about the walking during a running challenge, why join if you are going to walk??? DO something else.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha. I'm not in the FB group you reference, but I agree. If you're doing a running challenge, plan to run. Or start your own challenge!

    ReplyDelete