Sunday, December 14, 2014

What's Cooking? Week of 12/14

Way back when, I used to link up with Laura over at Mommy Run Fast for a weekly meal planning link-up. I don't really have a meal plan put together, so instead, I thought I'd share with you all the ideas of things I'm going to try this week.

What's for Dinner? Week of 12/14
I need to update my graphic

Yesterday, Jeff and I picked up a basket from Bountiful Baskets, so we have lots of yummy produce to play around with this week.

We even went early to volunteer.

Volunteering at Bountiful Baskets
Volunteering is hard work!

And check off our final volunteering activity for our 2014 goal.

2014 Enriching Activities | Enjoying the Course

Now, we're down to one cultural activity and one new restaurant. I'm confident we'll accomplish them both before the end of 2014! :)

Okay. Back to the baskets. This week we received a couple eggplants, two heads of lettuce, some potatoes and turnips, cucumbers, and broccoli. Lots of apples and pears, grapefruit, clementines, and bananas. I'm excited for everything, but I also want to make sure that I have a plan to consume it all. Otherwise, it has a tendency to go bad before we can get it.

So, here are a few of the things I'm hoping to cook up this week.

Baba Ganoush - I actually made this yesterday. 1 eggplant down.

Eggplant Parmesan - Still need to decide on a recipe for this one. And 2nd eggplant done.

Potato, turnip, broccoli cheese soup - I froze a soup concoction a few weeks ago and plan to doctor it a bit to create something new, so I'm going recipe-free on this one. Hope it turns out delicious! Uses some of the potatoes and turnips and, of course, the broccoli.

Caramelized Pear Upside Down Cake - I pinned this recipe a month or so ago and have yet to try it. Uses some pears.

Baked apple chips - Not sure if I'll dress these up at all or if I'll just thinly slice them and bake 'em up. Uses up some of the apples.

Apple/pear crisp - Crock pot or oven? Not sure yet. A few more apples and pears used.

Salads - I bought some carrots, celery, and tomatoes to add to the lettuce in our basket. I'll also cut up the cucumber we received. And... checking off cucumbers and lettuce.

That's about it as far as recipes go.

Oh wait. Yesterday, I had an Apple and Gouda Grilled Cheese sandwich. So yummy!

The baba ganoush will be good with pita chips as well as some of the carrots, celery, and cucumbers. And a lot of the fruit I'll just eat as snacks.

So... wish me luck in not wasting any food!

In addition to all of the above, I'm also making Slow Cooker Cinnamon Almonds and White Chocolate Lemon Truffles - even though they will not help me consume any of the produce. If the almonds turn out as good as they smell (yes, they're in the slow cooker right now!), I'm planning on giving them away in gift bags to some friends at work. As for the truffles, well, I bought the heavy cream for them a few weeks ago, and now that is very close to its expiration date, so I really had no choice but to make them. :-)

What are you cooking up this week?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

7 comments:

  1. Baba ganoush sounds really nice :) I have never made it, but after reading your post, I definitely want to go grab a few eggplants. My husband dislikes them, and I can't remember the last time I used an eggplant. Potato, turnip, broccoli cheese soup also sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had baba ganoush before, but I really like it! I think I'll definitely make it again the next time we get eggplant.

      My soup turned out to be potato and turnip. I decided not to waste the broccoli and cheese - in case the soup doesn't turn out. :-)

      Delete
  2. We've missed having you link up- glad you're back! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cucumbers as a snack, too! So yummy. And really good with the baba ganoush, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caramelized pear upside down cake sounds like a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete