Monday, November 20, 2017

Two Pumpkin Recipes. Great for Thanksgiving Week.

I know, I know. Pumpkin season is nearly over for the year. Thanksgiving is the last hurrah for this winter squash, so I wanted to share not one, but two easy pumpkin recipes for your breakfasts this week.

Pumpkin Pie French Toast


Last weekend, I experimented with pumpkin french toast. It turned out so good! The pumpkin pie flavor is pretty subtle, so it's perfect for those who aren't super crazy about all things pumpkin spice.



Pumpkin Pie French Toast

Serves 4.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 8 slices of bread

Instructions

  1. Preheat skillet or griddle to 375.
  2. In a small bowl combine almond milk, pumpkin, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and flour until well combined. Transfer to a shallow dish that's big enough for a slice of bread.
  3. Dip both sides of a bread slice in the pumpkin mixture. Shake off any excess batter.
  4. Place coated bread on the hot skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
  5. Enjoy with a dusting of powdered sugar and/or maple syrup.
I made this with sourdough bread, which was a bit overbearing. I would recommend a more subtle bread.



Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats


Overnight oats are one of my favorite things! I wanted to try my hand at some pumpkin pie overnight oats for easy breakfasts this week.

Another winner! I would highly recommend heating this before eating. I know a lot of overnight oats recipes can be eaten cold right out of the fridge, but I think this is much better warmed up a bit.



Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats

Serves 2-3.

Ingredients

  • 1 very ripe banana
  • 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • Almond milk
  • 1 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)

Instructions

  1. Mix banana, pumpkin, and oats together in a medium bowl.
  2. Add enough almond milk to make it a soupy consistency. I didn't measure but probably 1-1 1/2 cups.
  3. Stir in the chia seeds, pumpkin pie spice, and brown sugar (optional)./li>
  4. Pour into 2-3 mason jars, cover, and store in the fridge overnight.
  5. Warm in the microwave about 2 minutes before enjoying.

This made two servings for me, but could easily make 3 smaller servings. Making it into 2 is a pretty hearty breakfast.


What are you eating for breakfast this week?
Do you have a special breakfast on Thanksgiving or save room for a big meal later in the day?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

5 comments: