Sunday, November 12, 2017

Run Laughlin Half Marathon Training Week 7

Another week. Another 1.5 lb jump on the scale. :-( I know I said I was going to do better with my eating last week, but I didn't. I need to get it under control! Other than that, it was a pretty great week of training. I did have a few motivation issues, but I was able to get in all my workouts plus a few extras.

Run Laughlin Half Marathon Training Recap

Training Recap Week 7: 11/06 - 11/12

Monday, 11/06
Plan - REST
Actual - Metabolic Kick HIT (NTC app) + 13 Minute Yoga Quickie Stretch
Didn't care for the NTC workout, but the stretching felt good.


Tuesday, 11/07
Plan - Recovery Run | 5.75 miles | Easy pace
Actual - 6.0 miles | 1:03:42 | 10'37" pace
I was determined to make this distance work before work, so I laid everything out before bed in the hopes of getting out the door faster. I overestimated my turn around and got in a little extra mileage. The run felt good! But I was really cutting it close by time I got home. I've never showered so fast. LOL



Wednesday, 11/08
Plan - REST
Actual - Core Crunch 2.0 (NTC app) + 30 Minute Full Body Stretches For Flexibility
Enjoyed the NTC workout, but didn't care much for the yoga. :-) It was a good sequence, different, but not what I was expecting. I was expecting deeper stretches and less of a flow.


Week 7 was another great week of training for #RunLaughlin! Read @EnjoytheCourse's training recap.

Thursday, 11/09
Plan - Benchmark | 7:00 Warmup | 3:00 HARD | 5:00 Cool Down
Actual - 1.38 miles | 15:01 | 10'53" pace + Core Strength (NTC app)
This was the 3rd benchmark of this training program. It was a big improvement over the last one, when my toe was still hurting quite a bit. My hard effort was pretty on par with the first one, though. But my warmup/cool-down were quite a bit slower than the first. :-(


Friday, 11/10
Plan - Tempo Run | 3.25 miles | Quick pace
Actual - 3.25 miles | 30:09 | 9'17" pace
It was hard to get my butt out the door for this run, but it turned out so great! I set a slow pace alert on my Garmin for 10'30" but I think I could have set that alert for 9'30". :-) I also managed negative splits. Whoo hoo!! My legs felt a little heavy, so I was kind of surprised with my paces.


Saturday, 11/11
Plan - REST
Actual - Volunteered at Valley of Fire half marathon + a very short hike
Jeff and I left around 5AM to drive the hour+ to the Valley of Fire state park to man an aid station for the half marathon. It was a very small race (only 25 people ran the half), but it was fun to take in the beauty of the park.



Jeff didn't sleep well the night before, so our plans for a hike after volunteering kind of vanished. We drove to the end of the park and explored the White Domes trail for about 15 min or so.



Not sure if you can tell from the pictures above, but the trail was the softest beach sand. It was tough to walk in, but I just wanted to roll around in it (I didn't) because it was so soft.


Sunday, 11/12
Plan - Long Run | 10.5 miles | Comfortable Pace
Actual - 10.5 miles | 1:57:46 | 11'13" pace
Another tough time getting out the door! Even after getting started, it was tough. I ran an out-and-back at Wetlands Park and the out seemed to really drag on. The back was much better. :-D I was hoping to finish in under 2 hours, and I DID!


Numbers
Runs: 4 runs | 21.13 total miles
Strength: 3 days
Yoga: 2 sessions

Join me for Run Laughlin! VegasCD saves you 15% off registration.

Next week's meals:
Trying to keep it simple this week and hoping to do better with my eating this week. Snacking is my weakness, and I didn't really plan for that, so fingers crossed. LOL

Breakfast:
Bagels with peanut butter

Lunch:
PBJs

Dinner:
Black Bean Chicken
Tuna Patties
Polenta Pizza
One Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta


I'm linking up today with Tricia & Holly for the Weekly Wrap. Have a fantastic week, everyone!

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great week of training! Fantastic job on your tempo run! That's great that you volunteered to man an aid station. Always grateful for the volunteers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry! I was a little surprised about my tempo run! It's fun to volunteer now and again. It makes me appreciate the volunteers a little more.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a pretty course where you volunteered for the half! The weather looks like it was a nice day too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gorgeous on both fronts - course and weather. :) I was definitely a little jealous of the runners.

      Delete
  3. I find that the hardest thing for me to get under control are my eating habits. I have no problems with the workouts but food is just so darn tasty, lol

    Great job on your training this week, especially that tempo run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And it doesn't help that a few people brought in extra Halloween candy that is so enticing.

      Delete
  4. Girl, you are crushing this training cycle! Great week! Regarding that hike, that soft sand looks like a calf killer ...hard to walk in, but oh so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm trying to be consistent, at the very least. :)

      Delete
  5. You are running some strong paces! And I love your striped tights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job on the progressive tempo run! The Valley of Fire is stunning. I wouldn't mind volunteering at that race. Is it a new event? Just wondering because of the 25 people. Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! It is really stunning. So beautiful out there. The event has been around since at least 2010 (at least that's as far back as the results go on their website). In 2013 (the year I ran it), the RnRLV race moved from December to the same weekend as Valley of Fire. This was always a small race (only 75 runners for the half in 2013), but I'm guessing that sharing the weekend with RnRLV has hurt attendance. The race dates have moved to Oct for 2018. I hope it helps draw more people because it is such a gorgeous, challenging course.

      Delete
  7. Nice week of training. I just love seeing your pictures, especially the desert. I don't think most people realize how beautiful it is surrounding Vegas! I'd love to run that race--I l like those small personal races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a challenging course, but oh, so beautiful! I would highly recommend it. :)

      Delete