Sunday, November 19, 2017

Run Laughlin Half Marathon Training Week 8

I had a really fantastic week of training this week! Plus that pesky scale actually went down a tiny bit. Yay for the small victories, right?!

In addition to what I share below, I also did a bit of foam rolling before and after a few of my runs. I think that helped a lot. I did have a little knee/shin tweakiness, but I'm just chalking it up to the point in training when it's getting a little more intense and it manifests in my legs.

Less than two weeks until race day...

Run Laughlin Half Marathon Training Recap

Training Recap Week 8: 11/13 - 11/19

Monday, 11/13
Plan - REST
Actual - 15 Minute Yoga Quickie Hip Stretch With Fightmaster Yoga
Just wanted a little stretchy, stretchy after Sunday's long run and Saturday's brief jaunt on the sandy trail in Valley of Fire.


Tuesday, 11/14
Plan - Recovery Run | 3.5 miles | Easy pace
Actual - 3.5 miles | 35:53 | 10'15" pace
I rounded the corner to the most spectacular sunrise! Nothing else very remarkable about this run, but I did share a post on how to create the perfect playlist for whatever your Thanksgiving running plans might be.


Wednesday, 11/15
Plan - REST
Actual - Love For Your Legs Yoga
I can't remember what I thought about this video. LOL

#RunLaughlin is looking really promising for @EnjoytheCourse! Week 8 was great!! Less than 2 weeks to go.

Thursday, 11/16
Plan - Speed Work | 7x1200m | 0:30 Rest
Actual - 5.88 miles | 56:49 | 9'40" pace
Before going to bed, I set up the 7x1200m workout into my Garmin. I named it 7x1200m (0:30 rest). So, imagine my surprise when nothing happened at what I thought was the end of the 3rd run interval?! It was then I realized that I didn't actually set the number of repeats to 7. 🙅 I almost gave up. Instead, I tried to adjust the workout to be 4 repeats to finish out the workout. It wouldn't sync, so I started the workout 2 more times.

Other than those technical difficulties, it was a pretty great run. I also set a pace range of 9'30" - 8'49" to keep my in a faster pace, but not too fast. I actually felt pretty comfortable out there. Woot woot!

And another gorgeous sunrise!


Friday, 11/17
Plan - Recovery Run | 4.25 miles | Easy pace
Actual - 4.41 miles | 48:36 | 11'01" pace
Nice and easy on this run. It's amazing to me how both an 11 min avg pace and a 9:40 avg pace can feel comfortable. Hmm.


Saturday, 11/18
Plan - REST
Actual - Wake Up and Flow Power Yoga
I really *loved* this yoga video. It was a nice flow through some fun poses. I'll definitely be doing it again.

I went to the eye doctor in the afternoon. I hadn't been to one since before moving to Vegas 5 years ago. I'm not sure when my last appt actually once. I got the retinal scan done and the doctor said my eyes were very healthy. That made me very happy, but also my astigmatism improved in both eyes and the vision in one of my eyes also improved slightly. All good news. And surprising since I've hit that age (40) when your eyesight tends to worsen.

I also experimented making pumpkin french toast. It was good but not as pumpkin-y as I hoped. Still, come back tomorrow for the recipe.


Sunday, 11/19
Plan - Long Run | 10.75 miles | Comfortable Pace
Actual - 11 miles | 1:48:40 | 9'52" pace
Since my 7x1200m workout felt so good and comfy on Thurs, I decided to test something out on today's long run. For the first 3.5 miles, I sent my slow alert to a 10'30" pace and the fast to a 9'30" pace. I didn't want to start too slow or too fast. After that, I turned off my fast alert and increased my slow alert to a 9'55" pace. My current half PR is a 9'57" pace.

I felt really good on this run! Originally, I was going to reset the pace alert after 6 miles for a little slower pace, but I was feeling so good that I kept it where it was. The last couple miles my watch beeped at me a little more often, but I was still able to kick it up a notch to increase my pace when it did.


Would I have been able to keep it up for another 2.1 miles? I think so. It would have been close at least. I may try something like this for race day. Stay tuned.


Numbers
Runs: 4 runs | 24.8 total miles
Strength: 0 days
Yoga: 3 sessions


I giving away a free entry to Run Laughlin over on Instagram! Go to this picture to enter. Giving goes through tomorrow, 11/20, and the winner will be announced on IG on Tuesday. Come run with me! There are also 10k and 5k options if you're unable to run a half.

Next week's meals:
I know it's Thanksgiving week, but it's just Jeff and me, so we don't usually do anything special. I did buy some sparkling cider. Otherwise, we've decided that we really need to eat what's in our cupboards this week and keep it nice and simple (i.e. cheap).

Breakfast:
Bagels with peanut butter
Some kind of overnight oats

Lunch:
PBJs
Leftovers

Dinner:
Soup Not sure on a recipe yet, but I did buy some potatoes and have some carrots to use as well. Not sure if I should make something brothy or creamy (do I even have the stuff for creamy?!)
Polenta Pizza
One Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta


I'm linking up today with Tricia & Holly for the Weekly Wrap. Have a fantastic Thanksgiving week!!

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

13 comments:

  1. As you mentioned, I know I would really benefit from foam rolling more before my runs too. I am going to try that this week. Thanks for the reminder. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It's so easy to skip, but so nice when you don't.

      Delete
  2. My 11 miler pace looked just like yours! And I had the same question...can I do this + 2 miles next week?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a couple days completely off, but I'm back to foam rolling and stretching. I really think my routine helps keeps my muscles loose.
    I've been trying to keep my meals healthy too, until Thanksgiving. I had a lot of meals with cheese leading up to my race, so I'm avoiding cheese at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to have a good rolling and stretching routine! I need to get into a better habit.

      Delete
  4. I spent the majority of the week in recovery mode from my Vegas adventure (and I'd do it allover again!). Those sunrise pics...wow, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with a good recovery week after a fun racecation. :)

      Delete
  5. Your training is going great. That's an excellent long run pace! I think you'll set a new half marathon PR. Your sunrises are so pretty! They just make the day seem so much better. Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good sunrise. They really do help make the day better. I'm definitely optimistic for race day.

      Delete
  6. Looks like you are on track for a PR (fingers crossed).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving my Garmin! :-)
    I am hopeful for race day. It would be fun to get a PR.
    We've had some pretty amazing sunrises lately. Sunsets, too, but I usually miss those because I'm still in the office. :(

    ReplyDelete