Sunday, November 5, 2017

Run Laughlin Half Marathon Training Week 6

As far as workouts go, I had a great week! So, it was a little disappointing to step on the scale this morning to find a 2lb weight gain. :-( I wasn't so good in the eating department and it showed on the scale. I really hope to be better this week. I'm not letting it get me down though, it was still a great week!

Run Laughlin Half Marathon Training Recap

Training Recap Week 6: 10/30 - 11/05

Monday, 10/30
Plan - REST
Actual - Power Yoga for Beginners
Fiji McAlpine took me slowly through some beginner power yoga poses. Nothing too crazy, as it was for beginners, but it was nice to do a slow power yoga class. It was more like a yoga video to prepare you for a power yoga class, so you'd be familiar with some of the common poses.

We had a company event in the afternoon/evening at the TPC Las Vegas golf course. My company, ThriveHive, was a sponsor at the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open. It was a fun evening getting to know some people from our main offices in Quincy, MA.



Tuesday, 10/31
Plan - Speed Work | 8x400m | Hard pace | 2:30 rest
Actual - 8x400m | 8'47" avg {interval} pace | 2:30 rest
Despite a somewhat late night Monday, I still got up Tues morning for some speed work. We had a late start at work due to the company party, so it was nice not to feel too rushed for my workout. The 400m intervals were a little tricky in the dark, though. I was going to do the loop around the Westgate, but I didn't feel confident doing that in the dark considering that is where I fell on 10/01. Instead I looped on some sidewalks and felt a bit safer.

The spooky sunrise was perfect for Halloween!

We got out of work a bit early, so I took a couple of visitors to Red Rock for a little mild hiking. They live in OH and MA, so aren't used to seeing the mountains every day. It was a really fun experience to show it to them as the sun was setting.




Wednesday, 11/01
Plan - REST
Actual - REST
It was double star day at Starbucks, so I enjoyed my first Peppermint Mocha of the season. Yummy!


#RunLaughlin training Week 6 was a great week of training! @EnjoytheCourse shares her training recap.

Thursday, 11/02
Plan - NTC Workout | The Complete Crush | 45 min
Actual - The Complete Crush + Post Workout Recovery Yoga
The DOMS from this workout are finally starting to subside! There were so many lunges and pushups, plus plenty of other exercises as well. I definitely needed a little recovery yoga afterwards.



Friday, 11/03
Plan - REST
Actual - 60 Min Yoga Class: Run the Year
I was working from home on Friday, so I took advantage of the extra time from not having to commute to get in a full hour yoga practice. I really enjoyed this practice!

Apparently, this was also my Nike anniversary. :-)



Saturday, 11/04
Plan - Speed Work | 8x1000m | Hard pace | 0:30 rest
Actual - 8x1000m | 9'07" pace | 0:30 rest
This was HARD! The first couple intervals were a bit too fast, and I was already getting tired. I still tried to keep the rest of the intervals under 9'30". The 5th one was the slowest at 9'42" pace. I also had to battle was gusty winds out there. Thankfully not the entire run. There were some really pretty clouds in the sky which helped keep me smiling throughout the workout.



Sunday, 11/05
Plan - Recovery Run | 2 miles | Easy pace
Actual - 3.26 miles | 34:55 | 10'43" pace + Yoga for Runners: 7 MIN Post-Run & Yoga for Runners: Post-Run Cool
I took it nice and easy today. My lower legs were protesting a bit, so I was sure to take some time afterwards for some yoga and did a little foam rolling as well.



Numbers
Runs: 3 runs | 14.51 total miles
Strength: 1 days
Yoga: 4 sessions

Like I mentioned, such a great week of training! Hopefully the next 4 weeks will be just like this one, so I can have a kickass race on Dec 2nd.

Join me for Run Laughlin! VegasCD saves you 15% off registration.

Next week's meals:
We did our grocery shopping yesterday, but I didn't do any meal planning beforehand. So, here's what I came up with. Some of the recipes will need to be tweaked to use what I already have on hand.

Breakfast:
Zucchini Matcha Muffins - I still have a few leftover from last week that I threw in the freezer.
Smoothies

Lunch:
PBJs
Tuna salad sandwiches

Dinner:
Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili
One Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta
Chili - no recipe, just throwing something together


I'm linking up today with Tricia & Holly for the Weekly Wrap. Have a fantastic week, everyone!

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

17 comments:

  1. I make that crockpot chicken taco chili and we LOVE it! I'm adding the cheesy taco pasta to my recipes to try list. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken taco chili is one of my faves! I hope the cheesy taco one turns out; I haven't tried it yet.

      Delete
  2. I am excited. I just booked a bus tour of Red Rock Canyon for Sat am. And I guess I am meeting you on Sun am!!

    Haven't had my winter Starbucks...yet. Maybe this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! The bus tour through Red Rock sounds fun. It's so pretty. I hope the bus stops to give you a chance to get out and snap some pics. :-)

      Delete
  3. Great week of training for you! And yum to the Peppermint Mocha...

    How do you get that twitter plug in for your blog? I also blog on Blogger and I cannot figure out how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! I add the Twitter share button manually to each post and update the info it populates. It takes a few seconds, but I think it's worth it.

      Delete
  4. I was in a Starbucks this afternoon (impromptu lunch with the college son an hour away), and they had all the pumpkin spice crossed off on the board and were promoting all the Holiday flavors....I thought it ironic that the pumpkin came to a crashing halt...don't we still have pumpkin stuff happening, you know, like pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't given up on my pumpkin spice and will be savoring it a bit longer, but I also love the peppermint mocha, so I'm torn. LOL

      Delete
  5. I just had my first holiday drink at Starbucks of the season as well. I chose eggnog and wasn't a huge fan of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love eggnog, but I'm never all that impressed with the eggnog latte at Starbucks. :(

      Delete
  6. I can't wait for my first holiday Starbucks this year. It's always fun getting the holiday cup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on a great week of training!

    Loving the Starbucks cup :) I am waiting until it gets a little colder here to have my first Starbucks holiday drink - probably a gingerbread latte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. You can always get them iced or a frapp, if it's still too warm outside. :)

      Delete
  8. You had two great speedwork sessions this week! Red Rock Canyon looks lovely. For what it's worth...I've learned I often weigh more on Monday. I assume I've retained fluid from working hard and running long miles over the weekend. Now, I just don't weigh on Mondays! Thanks for linking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! That's smart. I only weigh myself on Sundays. :-) Red Rock is a lot of fun!

      Delete
  9. Come to Vegas! :) I'd love to show you around Red Rock.

    I just want the number to go down. :( At least my pants didn't feel too much tighter. That's when I really start to worry.

    ReplyDelete