Friday, May 16, 2014

Catalina Island: The Running

In planning our vacation to Catalina Island, I simply knew I had to get in at least one run.
I packed for two. :-)

The weekend really went too fast don't they always? SO after the wedding with an open bar, I woke up Sunday morning determined to run off any hangover.

It was a bit of a struggle to crawl out of bed and change into my running clothes, but I did it. SO GLAD I DID!

It was a beautiful morning! There was a slight breeze; the weather was perfect.

I started out running along the ocean.

Catalina Island | Pebbly Road

It's such a rare treat for me to run with the ocean by my side. And it was exhilarating. :)

But I also really wanted to attempt a little trail running on the island. I'd consulted a map, but it somehow took me nearly 2 miles to find this trail head.

Catalina Island | Trans Catalina Trail

I was super excited!

Until just before getting onto the actual trail, I saw this sign.

Trans Catalina Island Permit Required

HIKING AND BICYCLE PERMITS REQUIRED.

Bummer. I'm a rule follower, so as much as I wanted to hit that trail, I turned around and stuck to the road.

Luckily for me, most of the uphill was behind me by the time I found that trail. And I was able to enjoy the fast downhill - enjoying the beauty around me.

Here are a few more pictures from my run.

Catalina Island

Catalina Island

Catalina Island

I also discovered the panorama function on the camera on my phone.

Catalina Island

Hope you've enjoyed my pictures and running with me on Catalina Island!

Jeff and I had also gone for a walk Saturday morning. Here are a couple more panoramas. Yeah, I really fell in love with this function on my phone!

Catalina Island

Catalina Island

Running after a night of drinking and an afternoon of scuba diving might not have been the best idea in hindsight, but it was still fun for me. Even though it completely wiped me out for the drive home.

Have you ever been to Catalina Island?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

10 comments:

  1. Hmm, why is a hiking permit required? Just wondering. The photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really sure. I guess the same reason why many state and national parks require an entrance fee.

      Delete
  2. My husband and I loved going to Catalina when we lived in CA. One time I went when I was pregnant with a boat full of loud candy eating boy scouts. The waves were rough and you can probably guess what happened to most of the boy scouts and the pregnant lady next. I can laugh about it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stinks about the permit, but looks gorgeous there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! I've never been there but after seeing your photos, I hope to go some day!

    Amy @ http://livinglifetruth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance! It was our first time, and we definitely want to go back. :)

      Delete
  5. What a stunning run. Sounds like you had a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete