Friday, May 23, 2014

Race Day - Chatty Cathy

Tomorrow is another race day! 2014 is really turning out to be the year of the races for me, and I'm having a blast!

Tomorrow is ...


I'll be starting my Saturday morning bright and early with a half marathon and then finishing the evening with a 5k for the DIRTY DOUBLE.

As with any race, particularly a trail race, my #1 goal is always to just get out there and have fun. ENJOY THE COURSE. :) This definitely won't be a PR course, but it will definitely be a beautiful course.

Part of the fun of running a race is interacting with other runners out on the course.

I'm kind of a solo runner during training, so I can be a little chatty during a race - especially a longer race like a half marathon.

Back in April, I ran the Mustang 50th Half Marathon. Part of what made that such a great race was the conversations I had out there. I wanted to share a couple with you. :)

Maybe around mile 5 or 6, just past a water stop, I heard a lady ask, "What did you guys do to the elevation up here?" I thought it was a funny question because I don't ever think about the elevation here in Vegas. I forget about it, I guess. She was very FL, though, and the elevation was killing her.

It was her first half marathon, so I asked her why she came all the way to Vegas for her first one. She's a huge Mustang fan! I secretly hoped she'd win the car, but she didn't. What an amazing experience for your first half marathon - to run an exclusive, one-time event celebrating a car you love! Talking to her really made me smile.

Next, around mile 8 or 9, I was surprised to catch up with a guy from SoCal that I'd met the night before at the packet pick-up. I thought he'd be much faster than me, but I guess the elevation was hard on him, too.

We ran together for a mile or so - chatting about this and that, enjoying the course and the conversation.

One thing I definitely learned from chatting with these two was that I would be one speed demon at a lower elevation. LOL.

Around mile 12, I was really struggling. I struck up another conversation for some distraction. With a girl wearing a Team RWB singlet. I asked her if she ran with Charity Miles as well, since you can run for that charity with the app. She didn't run with the app, but a lot of her teammates do. I've done a few runs for Team RWB, but I'm not a member.

Those were the highlights of my random conversations. One of the best parts of the race, for sure!

I'm excited to find out what kind of conversations I get into during tomorrow's races. :)

Do you get chatty with fellow racers during a race?
Are you racing this weekend?


I'm linking up with Jill today for Fitness Fridays.
Go check out how everyone else is celebrating fitness today.
Fitness Fridays

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

6 comments:

  1. I love the name of the event. I'm not racing this weekend, but I do chat with other runners! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty sure this is my first trail race - other than Ragnar, of course. Should be a great time.

      Delete
  2. It's fun to chat with other runners at races but I am often sucking wind trying to get that PR;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. You're one of those serious runners. :-) Not sure why, but I have a much easier time striking up conversation on the course rather than before or after a race.

      Delete
  3. I like to chat during races especially ultras. It seems like trail runners are more likely to chat during a race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see how chatting during ultras would be especially fun!

      Delete