Sunday, February 5, 2017

Week in Review - 2/05

So, my knee started bugging me on today's run. I definitely need to give it some TLC this week, i.e. lots of foam rolling and compression and stretching.

I'm also trying to eat better. I used to never really worry about nutrition, thinking that my exercise was good enough. I know the saying, You can't outrun a bad diet. And I believe it, but I just didn't think my eating was all that bad.

But with ultra training, I decided I needed to think of food as fuel. So, I downloaded the My Fitness Pal app (which I hadn't used since 2009) and was shocked by what I was lacking. I hope to write a post on that later. Maybe this coming week.

Week in Review - 02/05/16

Monday, 1/30

The Plan ↠ REST
Reality  ↠ REST


Tuesday, 1/31

The Plan ↠ Peaks and Valleys | 45 min
Reality ↠ Done! But maybe not as intense as I would have liked. And, the 3rd set of mountain climbers nearly made me cry.


Wednesday, 2/01

The Plan ↠ 2.5 mile Recovery Run + Core
Reality ↠ 2.26 miles with Sallie (11:53 min/mile pace)
I had an 8AM meeting, so I was running short on time and skipped Core. I had intended on doing something after work, but never did. ☹


Thursday, 2/02

The Plan ↠ Pace Breaker | 32 min
Reality ↠ Done! This was rep-based. It took me 5+ extra minutes to get it done. Couldn't quite push it any harder than I did, which wasn't all that hard.


Friday, 2/03

The Plan ↠ REST
Reality ↠ Woke up with really tight calves. I should have gotten out of bed and done some rolling, but I opted to sleep another half hour instead.


Saturday, 2/04

The Plan ↠ 2.5-hour run, or at least 9 miles
Reality ↠ 3h 21m run | 11.4 miles
This one was hard. My calves were still feeling quite tight. I left later than I wanted. I kept getting off course. I couldn't get out of my head. I even had to resort to earbuds. I ended up going longer / farther than intended.

When you're 3 miles into your run and you just aren't feeling it, you stop for some yoga poses and jumping pics.


Sunday, 2/05

The Plan ↠ 3-hour run, or at least 10.5 miles
Reality ↠ 3-hour run | 9.67 miles
I really thought I was doing much better on this run. It seemed a bit easier than last week, but perhaps that's because I wasn't pushing as hard. That and my right knee really started to bug me on the way back down. Time to give it a bit of TLC.


I'm still a bit slower than I need to be to finish this race in the allotted time. I'm going to give training a few more weeks to see if there is any improvement. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

DailyMile Summary: Jan 30 - Feb 05
January 30 - February 5


Clean It Out, Use it Up update

Week 5: Cranberry Stuffing Mix, which I used to make Tuna Cakes.


These turned out so good. Jeff said, "We should make these a staple." They were so flavorful and perfectly crispy!


What was the highlight of your week last week?


I'm linking up today with Tricia & Holly for the Weekly Wrap as well as Angela for Sunday Fitness & Food.

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

16 comments:

  1. You truly have some beautiful scenery to take in on your runs ....yes, I'm kinda jealous! Take care of the knee ..hope it's feeling better soon. Where is your Ultra?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a local Ultra right here in Vegas. I chose it because I can train the exact route of the race to limit any surprises on race day. I just hope my knee feels better on the next few runs, so I can still do the ultra.

      Delete
  2. I have tight calves, and it's one thing my chiro is working on. I think they got messed with enough that I couldn't run as far as I wanted yesterday, but she said to work on them, and I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be better in the long run, so keep working on them - even if it cut your run short yesterday. :)

      Delete
  3. Knee pain is no fun...I know I haven't been foam rolling as much as I should and have been feeling the knee pain on my long runs. I can't imagine doing double digit runs back to back so kudos! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janelle! I'm hoping to foam roll like crazy this week and do lots of leg lifts. I need my knees to get back to tip-top, so my training isn't compromised. :)

      Delete
  4. Love your yoga/jumping pictures! I hope your knee feels better this week.
    I love tuna patties! I've never made them with stuffing, I use regular bread crumbs. I'll definitely use this recipe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty place to run! I'm loving your jumping and yoga pics!! I hope your knee calms down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have never have thought to put cranberry stuffing mix with tuna. But it does sound very tasty! I hope your knee is better now. The time you spent running over the weekend is very impressive. Nice jump shot too. Thanks for linking, Clarinda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You should try the tuna cakes with the cranberry stuffing. So tasty!!

      Delete
  7. I just started using my fitness pal again this year too - and was SHOCKED at some of my numbers. I'm like you - I usually try to just eat healthy most of the time and not worry too much about it - it was eye opening to put it all in the app - nothing terrible - I think I am a little low on calories and my protein intake was lower than I expected. You're scenery is gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was OK, but I'm so far off on protein, potassium, iron, etc. It's crazy!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a good week! Hope your knee is doing ok now. Thanks so much for linking up at Sunday Fitness & Food!

    ReplyDelete