Sunday, June 25, 2017

Week in Review - 6/25

This week was all about YOGA!


After 8 weeks of the Bikini Series, I needed a break from running and regular strength training. I still kept up with the RW Run Streak, but kept each run to 1 mile in order to focus more on yoga.

Workouts:


M - 1 mile run + Healthy Energy Flow (36min)
T - 1 mile run + Power Yoga: Lines, Angles and Loops (49min)
W - 1 mile run + Yoga for Core (and Booty!) (28min)
Th - 1 mile run + Hatha Yoga Happiness: Gratitude (35min)
F - 1 mile run + Compassion Yoga (58min)
Sa - 1 mile run + Power Yoga with Crista Shillington: Up, Down and All Around (1h 13min)
Su - 7 MIN Pre-Run Yoga + 1 mile run + Post-Run Cool Down Yoga + 6-Min Yoga for Hips + Perfect Stretching Routine

I tried to get in some longer yoga videos this week. Saturday's was particularly good. It was really tough and I had to do some modifying, but at the end, I was so happy.

I really love the heat; it's one of the reasons I live in Las Vegas. It's been over 110°F this past week. While I think it feels fabulous, I've been doing my runs before work. The thought of running in the sunshine and heat after work just didn't seem very smart. :-)

Highlights of the Week:


Moon Valley Nursery
I played hooky from work on Friday (pre-approved, of course), and we made a little visit to the Moon Valley Nursery. Jeff had gone earlier in the week to look at their lemon trees and discovered they have a lot of tropical birds, so he wanted me to see some of the wildlife at the nursery. It was really fun!

There was a toucan that was pretty noisy and a ponds full of turtles.


I think there were some koi in the pond as well. :-)

There were quiet a few other birds in cages throughout the nursery. My favorite was Cool Whip.


It was a fun little excursion.

Stanley B Spring Trail
Today, we headed up to Mt Charleston to beat the heat and cross off June's new trail.


I think this is one of my new favorite trails! There were lots of interesting things to look at - trees, caves, bushes, etc. It was a pretty easy trail to navigate with quite a bit of shade (compared to most Vegas trails).

The views were spectacular!


There is a spring at the end, but we didn't make it all the way. Sallie was getting too hot and too tired, so we decided to turn around.

I'll try to write a whole review post on the trail. It's definitely one that we want to do again.

How was your week?
Do you ever just take a break from your regular workouts to focus on one thing?


I'm linking up today with Tricia & Holly for the Weekly Wrap.

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

14 comments:

  1. Those trails are so beautiful! How far out of LV are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're about 45 minutes from the Strip, but it doesn't even seem that far because it's mostly driving through the city.

      Delete
  2. Great job keeping up with the run streak! I know it isn't easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Keeping up with the streak hasn't been too tough this time around. Surprisingly. ;-)

      Delete
  3. I've taken a break from cardio this whole month to recover, and then focus on strength training again. I'm starting to feel the urge to return to cardio, but it was a good break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Sometimes our bodies just crave different things. I'm sure you'll return to cardio soon after such a long break. :)

      Delete
  4. Great job continuing the run streak!
    I honestly can say I love the heat too! 110 might be a Little much though! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a dry heat! :) I didn't believe that really made a difference until I moved to Vegas, but it's amazing how good the heat feels when it's not combined with high humidity.

      Delete
  5. Those run streaks can get tough! Good job keeping the runs manageable ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I'm trying to be very smart about streaking. :)

      Delete
  6. Ahh those trails, how beautiful! I've never consciously focused on one kind of workout, but I do go through phases where I do more of one than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! I definitely go through phases, too. Sometimes more consciously than others. :)

      Delete
  7. I've heard the Mt Charlston area is beautiful, and your pictures definitely show it is! One of these days I want to come run up there, I may have to enter the Revel marathon they have there.. hmmm. LOL
    Beautiful nursery, I love ponds and turtles, I run through a nature preserve a few times a week and almost always stop to say hi to the turtles and birds LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many trails up in Mt Charleston, and they're all beautiful. It's a nice little escape from the desert landscape in the valley. Definitely let me know if you come down to run! :-)

      I would want to stop to say hi to the turtles and the birds at the nature preserve, too.

      Delete