Monday, June 12, 2017

Zucchini Matcha Muffins

Do you love muffins? I know I do!

But they don't tend to fill me up. I can easily scarf down 3-4 normal homemade muffins with my morning coffee. And then need to force myself to stop. the. madness.

I wanted to create a muffin with a little more oomph! aka. protein.

It was about time use up the leftover shredded zucchini in my freezer and I found this recipe on Pinterest that looked like a promising place to start for my concoction.


Looking for a muffin with a nice protein kick? Try these zucchini matcha muffins from @EnjoytheCourse.

Zucchini Matcha Muffins

Takes , serves 6.

Ingredients

  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 3 oz of shredded zucchini, squeezed dry
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp matcha powder
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour*
  • 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder*
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 6-cup muffin pan. 
  2. In a small bowl combine eggs, lime juice, zucchini, oil, sugar, and matcha powder.
  3. In a large bowl mix flours, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  4. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients and mix until moistened.
  5. Distribute evenly in 6 muffin cups. They will be full. 😊
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
These turned out to be the best muffins I've baked in a long time! Just one muffin actually filled me up. I cut the sugar quite a bit from the original recipe, so these aren't overly sweet, either. However, I may have over-baked them a tiny bit because they were a little on the dry side, but I actually really liked that. They were perfect with coffee. :)


I used vegetable oil, but next time I'll probably use melted coconut oil instead to make these even healthier.

To make them a little sweeter, you could probably add in some chocolate chips and/or shredded coconut. I'll definitely try experimenting with some add-ins next time.

Like this recipe? Pin for Later.


What are your favorite ingredients to add into a muffin?
Do you ever find a recipe on Pinterest just to tweak it into your own creation?

I'm linking up today with Deborah and Sarah for Meatless Mondays.
Confessions of a Mother Runner

*These amounts are approximate. In a 1-cup measuring cup, I added a serving of vanilla protein powder and then added enough whole wheat flour to fill up the cup.

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

31 comments:

  1. I can totally eat more than one muffin in one sitting because they are SO good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I've ever eaten only one muffin. Until this batch. :)

      Delete
  2. I don't usually meet a muffin I don't like! Love the zucchini in here thanks for linking up for meatless Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muffins are just a little bit of perfection, aren't they?!

      Delete
  3. Those sound so good! I am currently obsessed with making "superhero muffins" from the RunFast, Eat Slow cookbook. They also have zucchini, plus carrots, almond meal, and oats to help fill you up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those do sound very filling! I should probably get that cookbook; I've heard great things.

      Delete
  4. I seldom ever follow a recipe as written LOL I always tweak it a bit ;-) Question...what is Matcha? (I have no clue...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great! I love muffins too but agree they are usually not very filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! But for me it's also a mental thing. Even if it's filling, if the muffin is small, then I don't think one is enough. ;)

      Delete
  6. Well, I know zucchini bread is delicious so I imagine this would be, too! Thanks for sharing! We haven't made muffins in quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those sounds really good! Love the flavor combinations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially liked that these weren't overly sweet. Sometimes I want a sweeter muffins, but sometimes it just doesn't hit the spot. These are perfect for when you don't feel like a sweet muffin.

      Delete
  8. These sound amazing! I'll have to come back to this later in the summer when zucchini is in abundance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, these look delicious!! I'll have to add this into rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL. I should probably stick to those kind of recipes, because I'm the slowest cook ever! This came together pretty quickly, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been soooo long since I've had zucchini muffins - now I need to make some ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sounds so good! It's hard to eat just one sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how easy muffins are to make, but I have difficulty avoiding the temptation to eat more than one of them at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Seriously, who eats just one muffin?! (though I've been trying with these)

      Delete
  14. I love zucchini and wouldn't have thought to put them in a muffin! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like zucchini pretty much every way - raw, sauteed, baked, in breads & muffins. :)

      Delete
  15. I love muffins! I've never used matcha before, I don't think...these look great and I need to try it! I'm about anything with protein.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The only way I'll eat Zucchini is in bread form, and these look fabulous! I so wish I had a garden with some growing in it right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love zucchini in so many ways. :) You should try these muffins - even if the zucchini is bought at the store. ;)

      Delete