Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Getting Ready for Fall Training

If you caught up with me on Saturday over coffee, you'll know that I am ready for fall! Bring on the cooler temps, all things pumpkin and apple, sweaters and boots.

Don't get me wrong. I love summer. I love the heat and the cold brew. Tank tops & shorts. This summer was all about turning 40 which I loved as well. But I'm ready to move on to the next thing.

Even though I'm not quite sure what that is yet.

What I do know...
  1. My weight is slowly climbing back up.
  2. My pace is slowing down.
  3. My trail runs have all but disappeared.
Despite having finished RW Run Streak and the #ClarindaTurns40 fitness challenge, I've felt like my training lately has been floundering a bit. What am I training for? LIFE! :-)

Time to set some goals for Fall!

I set goals at the beginning of the year, which I'm still working on, but I haven't been setting any monthly or seasonal goals. That doesn't mean I can't start now, right?

Fall Training Goals: Weekly Meal Plans, More Speed Work, Monthly Trail Runs, Strength Training & Yoga | www.enjoyingthecourse.com

Weekly Meal Plan
Knowing what to eat each week is so important to prevent ordering food or stopping on the way home. I've been terrible about it this summer! And maybe the spring, too. I actually can't remember when I last did this regularly. I probably won't do a day-by-day plan, but choose a few recipes to make for breakfasts, lunches, and dinners throughout the week. I think I'll include my choices at the end of my Week in Review posts on Sundays. This will probably be the hardest goal for me!

Incorporate More Speed Work
Last week, I randomly threw in some speed work on one of my runs. It felt amazing! 99% of my runs this year have been easy-paced. On a very rare occasion, I'll mix it up with some intervals, but I'd like to do this more regularly once the temps start to drop a bit. I'm thinking at least one speed or hills/stairs workout each week. And let's throw in 2 tempos runs a month as well.
Speed work is always a bit easier (??) with good pump-you-up tunes. My all-time favorite is Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder. Some of the lyrics are ridiculous, but the beat is good and the chorus really puts that pep in my step.

I know I have lots more go-to pump up jams, but I'm drawing a complete blank right now! Please help me out by leaving a comment with your favorite pump up jam(s). I'll also be checking out the Tuesday Tunes link-up with Janelle for more ideas.
Help @EnjoytheCourse run faster! What's your go-to pump up jam to really get your feet moving?

Monthly Trail Run
At the beginning of the year, I was out hitting a trail nearly every weekend. While I'd like to get back to that, I also want to be realistic, so I'll shoot for a solo trail run at least once a month. Hopefully, I'll get in more trail time on at least a few groups run this fall as well, but there is something very satisfying about being out on the trails all alone. It used to kind of scare me, but now I really love it.

Yoga & Strength Training
To be my best self, I know that I need more than just running in my life. **gasp** It's true. Runners need things like yoga and strength training to really take their running to the next level. I'm actually not too terrible with these, but there is always room for improvement! I plan to check out the Tone It Up Daily Workout or do a yoga video on YouTube on my non-run days.

I plan on sticking to a 3x per week running schedule, so it should be easy(ish) to fit in strength training and yoga, right?!


I'm also challenging myself to meet my daily step goal, which will require more walks with Sallie in the evenings. I'm sure she won't mind. :-)

What are you most looking forward to this fall, training-wise?
What's your go-to song to get those feet really moving?

I'm linking up today with Erika, Marcia and Patty for Tuesday's on the Run as well as Janelle, Kim, and Steff for Tunes Tuesday.



Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

18 comments:

  1. I love the cooler weather and I'm hoping we get more soon! This summer heat and humidity- I'm definitely over it. Speedwork is essential to improving performance...I've seen such great improvements in my pace and strength since I started regularly working in speedwork this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can get so stuck in my easy paces, so it will be fun to push myself for a few months. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your goals! Clear, challenging but also doable! I am also going to do a bit more speed-work now - trying to chase an elusive 1 hour 10k time. Not sure I will manage this year, but here's hoping! Good luck with your goals! You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some really great goals for the month! I love finding the time to hit the trails. That's definitely my favorite way to run! And thanks so much for linking up with us for Tunes Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janelle! I'm so slow on the trails, but there's definitely something so satisfying about trail running.

      Delete
  4. I plan my meals for most weeks, but I do have some days where I will order something, or stop and pick up something on my way home. I love to cook, but sometimes I run out of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mostly time and motivation that I run out of. I've pinned so many recipes that I couldn't possibly make them all. :D

      Delete
  5. I have a lot of favorite tunes for pumping me up, and a lot of them are AC/DC classics...especially It's a Long Way to the Top if you Wanna Rock-n-Roll (the bagpipes...oh, they are SO sweet!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even thought of AC/DC is a long time. I may need to rediscover them.

      Delete
  6. Your goals are so well thought out! I can't seem to think beyond getting this marathon done. After that we'll talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your marathon is a pretty big goal in itself! Fall goals can definitely wait until you've finished this one. :)

      Delete
  7. I would like to get some speed work back into my runs this fall too. Perfect time for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cooler, crisper fall temps seem to scream for speed work. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Love all of your goals for the month! Thanks for linking up with us for Tunes Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm committing to one yoga session a week. With marathon training starting I need to stay loose! Thanks for joining the link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love yoga the day after a long run! Good luck with marathon training!!

      Delete