Thursday, March 7, 2013

Am I a REAL Runner?

It's no secret that I love to run. Obviously, I blog about it a lot. ;)

BUT am I a runner?


Sometimes I have a difficult time defining myself as one.

For example,
  • I have no desire to run a mud run or an obstacle run.
  • I stretch/bounce while waiting for stoplights.
  • I haven't run a marathon in nearly 10 years.
  • I'll sometimes take a hiatus from running and am not always super dedicated to running consistently.
  • I'd rather get great food, a tech shirt and/or running accessories than a race medal.
  • I'm too cheap to pay for many races.
  • I can't name any famous runners.
  • I don't read books about running or watch movies about running.
  • I don't usually talk about running - other than social media, of course.
  • I'm not super fast.
  • I rarely drive or travel to run, but opt to run from home.
  • I usually only own one pair of running shoes at a time.
We're are own worst critics, right?

Back in 2007, I would get embarrassed when Jeff would tell someone that I'd run two marathons. I wasn't currently keeping up with my running, and I didn't feel worthy of being called a runner just because I'd endured a marathon several years prior.

Now, that I'm running much more consistently sometimes I still feel inadequate and unworthyIn fact, when I was getting back into it, Jeff would describe me as a runner to other people, and I would quickly discredit it somehow likely with one of the above reasons.

But you know what?




Runners come in all shapes and sizes and abilities. So, even if I take a hiatus now and again, even if I don't run many races, even if I don't run very fast or run very far, I am finally getting to a point where I am proud...

TO CALL MYSELF A RUNNER.


Now, it's time for me to lace up my shoes, leash up my favorite running partner, and hit the road sidewalk.

Make it a great one, and Go! Get your run on!! :)

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

13 comments:

  1. Well... I met you... through... a running club!

    I recall cheering for you at ... a 10k road Race!

    I also don't believe you when you say you can't name a famous runner. I'll name a few, see if you have heard of them. Bill Clinton, George Bush, George Wendt (NORM!). Ryan Hall. Joan Benoit Samuelson. Sara Palin. Oprah. Jay Z.

    I too don't like t-shirts. I like to keep the races as green as possible.

    Do you run when you travel?

    I run to keep from getting too chubby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Piet! I still haven't found a running club here in Vegas that even compares to TCRE. :(

      I do like to run when I travel, but, unfortunately, I haven't been able to travel lately.

      Delete
  2. you are 100% TOTALLY A REAL ACTUAL RUNNER! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that anyone who considers themselves a runner deserves the title. Doesn't matter if you run far or run fast or hardly run at all - if you think you're a runner you are. That is my opinion on the Are you a Runner? controversy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby! I totally agree. It just took me longer to realize that I was a runner than it did my husband. :)

      Delete
  4. You are absolutely a runner, even if you take breaks or don't run marathons. My husband and I don't compete in ballroom anymore, nor do we practice five days a week like we used to, but we are still dancers. It's part of who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are definitely a runner Clarinda. My last marathon was in 2004 and I consider myself more of a runner now than I did then. The distance and speed is not what makes us runners:) It's who we are:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachelle! I totally agree (most days). I definitely do feel like more of a runner now than when I was training for marathons back in 2002 and 2003. :)

      Delete