Wednesday, March 13, 2013

And now for NASCAR

I know, I know. I promised you this post on Tuesday. Well, I didn't feel well Tuesday morning, so I opted to sleep in a bit and then I decided to go for a run after work. The sun was shining; it was in the 70s, and I still had about an hour or so before sunset. I simply couldn't resist getting out there for a run.

NASCAR was super fun, but getting there was not.


As we were leaving the CeeLo show, I remember checking the time on my phone. 1:51am. By the time we finished unlocking our biking and getting all set to go, it was after 3:00am.  No, we're not that slow, Daylight Savings Time started, and our phones automatically sprang ahead. :)

By the time we biked home and got everything situated, I ended up going to sleep around 4:00am. Unfortunately, Jeff didn't get to sleep until after 7:00am. It was definitely going to be a LONG day.

Earlier in the week, my brother randomly messaged me on Facebook saying he was in town for some training and wanted to know if I wanted to get together. So, I naturally invited him to come to NASCAR with us. Had I looked up the time of the race, I probably wouldn't have. Nor would I have gone through the trouble of snagging an extra ticket for him. I'd gotten free tickets from work. I love my job!

If we didn't have plans to meet my brother, we probably would have skipped going.

We ended up leaving about 20 minutes later than we'd wanted. It probably would've been fine except traffic was BAD!

At the first sign of delay, I texted my brother to say we were about to get stuck in traffic. I kept sending him little updates, but the data gods weren't with us and our messages to each other weren't being sent/received. So frustrating!!

We finally met up shortly after noon (when the race was supposed to start), so we missed the driver introductions. Since none of us are true NASCAR fans, the driver intros really would've been nice to hear.

After finding our seats, we started picking out our favorite cars by the colors. :) They were still doing warm-up laps, so we didn't really miss anything.

It was super loud and super exciting! Even though we didn't really know who any of the drivers were (except Danica Patrick, of course). It was fun to watch the cars make their laps, but it was also fun to watch the board with the rankings. :D



After about 50 laps, we left the stands in search of something to drink. I was super thirsty! As we were walking around everything smelled so good! The more we walked, the hungrier I got.

My brother and I settled on roasted corn on the cob.



I was really surprised at how much it filled me up. Well, I may or may not have eaten more than half of Jeff's fries as well. He'd ordered a basket of chicken fingers and fries.

Our quest for food took about 75 or so laps before we got back to our seats. We finished our food, analyzed the rankings of the cars, and then made the decision to leave early to try and beat the traffic on the way home. A caution flag came out around lap 190, and we decided that would be a good time to head out.

We were so lucky we left when we did! There was an accident just before the race ended, which affected the race traffic by hours. So happy we weren't stuck in that!

Have you ever been to a NASCAR race?
How do you feel about leaving an event early in order to avoid traffic?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

4 comments:

  1. I have never been to a NASCAR race, but I feel like the people watching there could be super fun too. IF it wasn't an event I was diehard about I would leave early for sure to avoid crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been, but I know my husband would love it! We've been to NHRA drag races, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually we enjoyed going to NHRA much better than NASCAR.

      Delete
  3. At that point examine them. Get on the web and discover a couple of things about them, for example, when they began, what their records are, the place they are from, and so forth. car dealerships near me

    ReplyDelete