Tuesday, March 5, 2013

March's 5 by the 5th

I can't believe how quickly this came up. It seems like just last week that I ran the Run for a Wish 5k/February 5 by the 5th.

I've been in a bit of a running slump for the past couple weeks, so I put off this 5K until the very last day.

It's finally getting light early enough for me to run outside before work. Well, for this week anyway, because Daylight Savings starts up again on Sunday, which will put the sunrise back an hour, again. :( Don't forget to Spring ahead!

I decided to do the same route that I did for the January edition of 5 by the 5th. Since I really hadn't done much for speedwork lately, I had no high hopes of achieving any kind of PR.

I just wanted to finish and FEEL GOOD!

It was a bit of a struggle to get out the door this morning, but once I'd walked to the end of the block, I was pretty mentally ready to Rock My Run. I had a great music mix going, and I WAS READY.

Unfortunately, my legs disagreed. :( They seemed so tired and heavy. They were moving, sure, but it wasn't without a bit of protest.

Sometimes, 3.1 miles seems to take forever. The beginning was great and the last little bit was pretty good, too, but the middle was not really happening.

Of course, it must not have been too bad, since I did shave more than a minute off my January time. So, not exactly a PR, I am still quite pleased with this run and my overall time.
Jan - 28:24
Feb - 27:09
Mar - 27:10
I really thought I was going a lot slower, but I guess mind over matter really showed my legs who was boss.


Did you run the 5 by the 5th virtual race series in March?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Clarinda- great job! Yes, mind over legs can get us a long way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I often have to remind myself of that. Of course, I often have the opposite problem. That's a bit more difficult to overcome. :(

      Delete
  2. Great job getting your virtual in:) Sometimes I feel like I am going super slow only to find out I was at a pretty good clip. I guess you just never know:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better than the alternative - when you think you're going super fast only to find out your pace was much slower than usual. Been there sooooo many times. :(

      Delete
  3. Woohoo, you're getting faster! I think you are going to have a sub-25 5K sooner than you might think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suz! It still seems incredibly fast to me, but I am getting closer. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow. Great job. For not doing much speed work I think your time is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Abby! It was a nice little surprise. :)

    ReplyDelete