Friday, April 10, 2015

5 For Friday - April 10

It's been a very, very long time since I've done a 5 for Friday type post. I've been feeling unmotivated and uninspired lately when it comes to blogging, but I've got a few exciting things going on that I wanted to share.

1. We are headed to the Grand Canyon this weekend. Neither of us has been before, so we're pretty excited. We're making a mini-weekend of it. We'll drive out Saturday morning and drive back Sunday afternoon/evening. I'm not sure why I decided it was important to go in April! Maybe it will be less crowded...?

Note: Deciding if it should have been "neither of us has been" or "neither of us have been" resulted in a long grammatical discussion before deciding that has been is correct. It still sounds weird, but according to Purdue Online Writing Lab, neither is singular and should use a singular verb - even if it sounds wrong. lol. So, there's your grammar lesson for the day. You're welcome. :-)

We're staying the night at the Yavapai Lodge - just one mile from the South Rim. I can't wait to, of course, see the beauty of the Grand Canyon, but also to do some trail running/walking/hiking. And maybe some outdoor yoga. It's going to be chilly, but I still can't wait!

2. I went shopping. To prepare for our chilly weekend at the Grand Canyon, and Ragnar Trail Zion in 2 weeks, and for a little retail therapy, I bought 3 pairs of running leggings at Walmart yesterday afternoon. Plus a few warmer tops. I needed a little color and a little fun for the cooler temps that I don't usually have to deal with here in Vegas.

3. I tried beets. I got 2 beets in our Bountiful Basket last week, and I kind of freaked out. Thank goodness for Pinterest! I ended up roasting them in a little olive oil/S&P to use in smoothies, of all things. The smoothies were delicious! Tangy, sweet, and probably very nutritious. Right? Right?



Waste not, want not. Instead of tossing out the stems and greens, I used them to make these delicious quesadillas.



The pesto was perfect. So savory! And combined with the squash and beet stems. SO GOOD! Of course, Jeff thought it was one of the most disgusting things he'd ever put in his mouth. MORE FOR ME!!

4. I started a new routine. Back on March 30th, I started a new morning routine to get me moving in the morning and to ensure I get at least some exercise every day.

I've been starting each day with this Morning Wakeup routine - Jumping Jacks, Squats, Jumping Jacks, Incline Push Ups, Jumping Jacks, Sit ups

I started with 10 and have been adding 1 rep every day. I'm now at 21. I'm going to keep increasing until I hit 25, and then I'll stay there for a couple weeks (probably through the end of April).

In addition, I've also been doing sun salutations every morning. I started with 1, worked up to 10, and will stick to 10 for a couple weeks now. Or until May 1st.

To keep me on track, I've also started using DailyMile again. If you're on there, we should totally be friends. :)

5. I joined the Tone It Up Bikini Series challenge.

Tone It Up Bikini Series - 8 week program to get beach ready. It's going to be the best summer ever!

It starts this coming Monday, and I'm kinda excited about it. Or at least hopeful for some good results. It's an 8 week program and sounds like it will be a really good one! I know I'll get out of it what I put into it, so I'm hoping I'll be able to give it my all. For real. I've been feeling very self-conscious and unhappy with my midsection lately, so here's to getting bikini ready!!

Well, that's all I have for now. Hope you all have a fabulous weekend! I promise it won't be another 17 days before my next post. :)

Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon?
Anyone else doing the Bikini Series?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

8 comments:

  1. The Grand Canyon is definitely one of my bucket list locations...I hope you have a great time! Beets are definitely an acquired taste...they're a little too earthy for me to eat all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited! We leave in a couple hours. :) I have a feeling it's going to leave me exhausted, but in a good way. :)

      I've hated beets all my life, but prepared in these ways, I didn't think they tasted earthy at all. :-)

      Delete
  2. Love love the grand canyon! I'm thinking about a trip this summer to take my kids. We went several times when they were young but haven't been back with them as teens.

    TIU! I've been so so tempted to join the bikini series. I think you've convinced me :)

    Have a wonderful weekend friend! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only a 4 hour drive for us, so I'm just happy we're finally getting there after living in Vegas for nearly 3 years. :)

      Delete
  3. Me again! You're going to think I'm crazy but I don't see where to sign up for the Bikini Series. Is it the Bikini Series Bundle? What am I missing? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill,

      If you click on the link above, you can sign up by entering your name and email in pop-up form that appears when you click on one of the images that say Sign Up Here.

      Hope you join the fun! Let's get bikini ready together. :)

      Delete
  4. I have never been to the Grand Canyon, but R2R is one of my huge bucket list goals. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing, Abby! Definitely worth the trip. R2R is a good bucket list goal. :)

      Delete