Sunday, October 1, 2017

Run Laughlin Half Marathon Training Week 1

As I mentioned in last week's Week in Review post I've decided to actually train for Run Laughlin - instead of just showing up on race day and winging it. I'm excited for the race but also excited to follow a training plan! It's been awhile.

I'm doing a Nike+ training program, which is a mix of recovery runs, speed, tempo, and long runs. There are a few NTC workouts sprinkled in as well, but I plan on adding in additional strength workouts and some yoga (of course). The Nike+ programs adapt to you. As you do your runs, it uses the run data to suggest paces, etc, for the rest of the training program. I've never followed one of their programs to get ready for a race but I have done one of their other plans and really liked it.

Run Laughlin Half Marathon Training Recap

Training Recap Week 1: 9/25 - 10/01

Monday, 9/25
Plan - Kick it Off (3 mile)
Actual - 3.01 miles | 30:39 | 10'14" pace
The first run of this training cycle. Nothing too remarkable, but it felt good to be out there.

Run Laughlin Training Day 1


Tuesday, 9/26
Plan - REST
Actual - REST
I did take a walk break during work and got in all my steps for the day. :)

TPC Summerlin golf course


Wednesday, 9/27
Plan - Benchmark Run
Actual - 1.44 miles | 15:02 | 10'26" pace
There are also a few benchmark runs throughout the training cycle. It's a 7 min easy warm-up, followed by 3 min as hard as you can, and finishes with a 5 min cool-down. It felt good to push it, but that 3 min really seemed to take a long time. I definitely started to slow down early and had to give myself a mini pep talk to keep kicking it up a notch.

Foam rolling
Foam rolling to get ready for the benchmark run

Week 1 of #RunLaughlin training is DONE! @EnjoytheCourse survived. 4 runs. 1 tumble. Read her recap for more.

Thursday, 9/28
Plan - REST
Actual - 20 minute Morning Yoga + evening walk
I really wanted to get in some yoga this week, but none of the YouTube recommended videos were catching my eye. Finally, I settled on this 20 min practice. It was a nice way to start the day.

Morning yoga

Of course, work was the most frustrating this day. Like there were several times I had to sit back, breathe some deep breaths, and re-ground myself. It wasn't fun. lol

I was behind in my steps, so I went for a walk after work with Jeff and Sallie. It was a nice way to end a pretty rotten day.


Friday, 9/29
Plan - 3 mile Recovery Run
Actual - 3 miles | 32:15 | 10'45" pace
I wrote a post before work on how to increase your daily steps, so I packed all my running gear to run after work before heading home. This way I would have plenty of time to finish before sunset and wouldn't get distracted with other things at home before starting my run. Bonus: My boss let us leave about a half hour early. Sweet! The route at work is downhill and then uphill to get back. It was tougher than I would have liked, but I stuck with my regular walk breaks.

Running pic
Playing around with some different running pic angles. Not sure I love it.


Saturday, 9/30
Plan - REST
Actual - 2.78 mile hike with Jeff
It was the last day of the month, and we still hadn't gotten in our new trail for the month. We got a much later start than we intended, but it turned out to be perfect! The trail was so gorgeous with the setting sun. It really made the fall colors pop.

Eagle's Nest trail | Mt Charleston, Las Vegas

The trail was relatively easy, too. There were a couple uphills but mostly all downhill, which was nice. We chatted the entire time, which was fun as well.


Sunday, 10/01
Plan - 7.5 mile Long Run
Actual - 7.5 miles | 1:26:10 | 11'29" pace
I didn't feel like driving anywhere, so I decided to do this long run right from my apartment. I ran a round-about way to the Strip, up to the Stratosphere, over to the Westgate. I was feeling pretty good! I was snapping a pic or two during my walk breaks (or when stopped at a traffic light), so my average pace was a bit slower than I wanted. My running pace was decent every time I glanced at my watch, though.

Las Vegas Strip

During my lap around the Westgate, I decided to pause to get a yoga pose pic.

Dancer yoga pose

And then I did something really stupid.

I tried looking at the pics I just took WHILE running. The running path around Westgate isn't exactly smooth. I kicked a buckle in the path and couldn't recover. Down I went, seemingly in slow motion. My phone went flying. My visor, too. I got back up, dusted myself off, and finished the last 1.9 miles SLOWLY. My right big toe took the brunt of it. It must have been the one to kick the path and send me tumbling. There were a few scrapes, but nothing bloody. I was a bit nervous to shower, but it wasn't bad. Thank goodness! My toe still hurts quite a bit. I'm hoping a soak with some Epsom salts will help.


Numbers
Runs: 4 runs | 14.95 total miles
Strength: 0 days
Yoga: 1 session

Come Run Laughlin with me! VegasCD save you 15% off registration.



Next week's meals:
We are heading out for a road trip on Thursday, so some of our meals will be on the road. Here's what I'm planning Mon-Wed.

Breakfast:
Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Bars

Lunch:
Leftovers or PBJ sandwiches

Dinner:
3 Bean Southwestern Quinoa Skillet Dinner
Chicken & Asparagus Lemon Stir Fry


I'm linking up today with Tricia & Holly for the Weekly Wrap. Have a fantastic week, everyone!

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

No comments:

Post a Comment