Sunday, October 8, 2017

Run Laughlin Half Marathon Training Week 2

After last Sunday's fall, week 2 of training was pretty much a flop! My right big toe was all bruised and I am still limping a bit. I'm hopeful that I'll be back to training soon, though. I'm almost back to walking pretty normally, so I'll likely try running again once I get back home after our road trip.

Run Laughlin Half Marathon Training Recap

Training Recap Week 2: 10/02 - 10/08

Monday, 10/02
Plan - 3 mile Recovery Run
Actual - REST
As I'm sure you can imagine, Monday was just a hard day. I awoke to several messages from family and friends asking if I was OK. I had no idea what had happened, as those in the East and Midwest all heard the news before I did - even though I was only 3 miles away. It was heartbreaking, and I was definitely numb all day. I was honestly both grateful that I couldn't run and sad. Part of me wanted to run the sadness away, but another part really didn't feel safe enough to run outside. I'm choosing to see it has a small blessing that I wasn't able to run.


Tuesday, 10/03
Plan - REST
Actual - REST
Still a bit numb on Tuesday and still giving my foot a rest.


Wednesday, 10/04
Plan - 1 mile Tempo Run
Actual - REST
Are you sensing a pattern here? :-) Since I was still limping, I didn't want to risk even a 1-mile run. I have been getting in my 10k steps every day, though. With everything going on, most of those steps have been in my living room.

Week 2 of #RunLaughlin training was kind of a bust! @EnjoytheCourse went on a road trip instead.

Thursday, 10/05
Plan - REST
Actual - REST
The road trip begins! The morning was spent packing and prepping for our road trip. We finally left Vegas around 3PM - a few hours later than we'd intended. Oh well. The drive through CA was pretty! We ended up stopping a new cute little gas station / family farm outside of Bakersfield. It was already dark, so we couldn't really do anything, but it seemed like it would be really fun place to stop - especially with kids. There was a huge picnic area, a pumpkin patch, and all kinds of activities.

Murray Family Farms | Bakersfield, CA


Friday, 10/06
Plan - 3 mile Recovery Run
Actual - REST
The intention was to go for a run in the morning across the Golden Gate Bridge. Unfortunately, I was still limping a bit, so I decided to skip the run. Jeff, Sallie and I walked around Presidio Park a bit instead. It was a gorgeous morning!

Golden Gate Bridge | San Francisco, CA

Presidio | San Francisco, CA


Saturday, 10/07
Plan - Speed 5x400s
Actual - REST
Saturday was family day. We had a family get together with Jeff's family at his uncle's. It was a great time catching up with everyone, sharing stories, and playing 5 Crowns. We'd never played the game before, and it was really fun! We were the last to leave and that wasn't until after midnight!

Orchard in Yamhill, OR


Sunday, 10/08
Plan - REST
Actual - REST
We woke up early this morning to hang out with Jeff's mom for a few hours, and then we drove up to Washington to see his brother. The drive from Portland to central WA was gorgeous! It's always gorgeous, but it was even prettier in the fall.

Columbia River Gorge

Numbers
Runs: 0 runs | 0 total miles
Strength: 0 days
Yoga: 0 session

Training-wise, definitely not the best week. It's still early in the training cycle, though, so I think I'll still be OK for Run Laughlin in December. As long as I don't fall again. :-D

Are you running Run Laughlin? VegasCD saves you 15% off registration.

Next week's meals:
We won't be back home until next Wed, so we'll mostly be eating on the road. We've actually been really good. Our first few legs we mostly ate food that we packed before leaving Vegas. We stocked up at a grocery store for our leg today and should be good to nearly get us back home.

I'm linking up today with Tricia & Holly for the Weekly Wrap. Have a fantastic week, everyone!

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

17 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your fall. Sounds like you're on a nice road trip. Hope your foot is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry! Me, too. :-) The road trip has been a nice distraction.

      Delete
  2. That fall sounds nasty but a road trip is a great way to soothe the pain! :) The hubs and I are planning to do a west coast road trip one of these days ...looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! It is so beautiful. Someday we want to do the Pacific Coast Highway from San Diego all the way north.

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine what you were feeling on Monday having that happen in your home town. What a gorgeous road trip! I've never been on the West Coast. I need to change that soon. I've never heard of the game 5 Crowns so I'll be Googling it shortly. I hope your toe is OK. Could it be broken? Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, I don't think my toe is broken. Most of the mobility has returned now, so I'm confident I'll be able to start running when I get back home. Probably not fast or hard, but a nice slow easy run. :) If you like card games that don't take a lot of concentration, then you'll enjoy 5 Crowns.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about your fall! I'm going to have to google 5 crowns myself. Have a great vacay/road trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki! After a couple more days, I'm sure I'll be back to running - at least slow and easy.

      Delete
  5. I totally missed the news of your fall! Gosh, I hope it wasn't as bad as mine (my bruise is almost gone...after 3+ weeks). Hope you're feeling better soon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I missed your fall as well! My toe is really starting to come around.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you had good reasons not to follow your training plan. I haven't heard of 5 Crowns - sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Coco! The timing was actually pretty good. I had hoped to do some running while on the road trip, but I'm not sure how it would have worked out. With the injury, I skipped packing the extra clothes and used the time for healing. It worked out well.

      Delete
  7. Just discovered your blog thank to Marcia. And I am running the RNR 5k and half in Vegas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog, Darlene! Thanks for stopping by. :) Hope to meet you in Vegas.

      Delete
  8. Yes, the road trip was a very nice distraction. :) I'd never played 5 Crowns before but it was super fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really sorry to hear about your fall. Hope you are good now and doing well.

    ReplyDelete