Tuesday, October 3, 2017

September Report Card

Good morning! I'm trying to get life back to normal after the devastating tragic mass shooting that happened in Las Vegas late Sunday night. While I wasn't personally affected, it happened less than 5 miles from my home. I'm still a bit numb that it happened. It still feels a bit surreal. And I imagine it will for awhile. There is still so much we do not know.

But this post is about my September!

September Report Card

General Running/Training (25%): A-

September was a pretty good month for running/training, but I know I could have done a bit more (hence the A-). I did pretty well with running and yoga, but my strength training sessions kind of declined. I need to fit these in more often! I've been on-point with my steps, though. My average daily steps for Sept have been 12,000+ steps. Wow! I wanted to exceed my step goal every day for 30 days. That really helped motivate me to walk more (even if just in front of the TV). Read more tips on how to increase your daily steps here. These have really changed my life. :-)


Run at least 600 Miles (25%): B+

Finished Sept so close to hitting 60 miles! I really need to keep better track of this in October, so I don't fall short of a milestone by so little. LOL I ran pretty consistently in Sept averaging 3 runs per week. That's my ideal running plan. I ran a few long runs, including a virtual half marathon on one of my favorite trails. I'm still a little behind on my mileage goal, but with 3 more months to go and training for a half marathon in early December, I'm not worried about it. Fall is a great time to run, so I'm confident I'll be increasing my mileage throughout the rest of the year.

600 mile goal


Be More Active in the Local Running Community (25%): B

It just seems to work out so nicely for me to group run on a holiday! I met up with a group on Labor Day to end summer with a nice long run. It was a gorgeous trail and one I hadn't done before, which made it really nice to do with a group. Now that fall is here, I'm hoping to still be able to go out for 5 more group runs before the end of the year. *fingers crossed*
3 of 8 group runs completed
1 of 3 times volunteering at a local race


12 Trails of 2017 (20%): A


Twelve Trails of 2017 - September

We waited until the very last day of September to go out for a hike. It was worth it, though! We ended up getting up to Mt Charleston around 4:30PM, so we got to enjoy a beautiful fall sunset hike. Eagle's Nest trail started at the same place as Fletcher Canyon, which we did in August. It veered off that trail and did a nice, easy, mostly downhill loop. The setting sun was gorgeous against the mountains, trees, and yellow foliage. Since it was a relatively easy hike, we were able to chat the entire time.







Current Events Night (5%): A-

There were just two episodes of John Oliver in Sept, and I caught up on both on Saturday. They were the basis of what Jeff and chatted about on our hike later that day.


Final Grade for September: B+

I still have some work to do to finish 2017 strong, so I need to focus these next 3 months. Of course Oct is already off to a rocky start. I fell on my run on Sunday and bruised my right big toe pretty good. I'm giving it some rest, so I'm not sure how much running I'll be doing this first week. Hoping it will heal quickly, so I can get back on the road!

How was your September?


To see my grades from all year:
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know you lived so close to the strip, I imagine that was crazy to be so close to so much tragedy!
    I already told you I loved those trails, so pretty!!
    While I haven't been blogging comment wise, I've still been reading blogs in my absence, I remember a few weeks back you posted a year end bucket list and you had Cathedral State Park on your list, oh you are going to love love it there! I can't usually comment from the college on blogs, and I think I tried on that one, but it may not have gone through:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even with as close as we are to the Strip, we had no idea what had happened until we woke up the next morning.

      I've been wanting to go to Cathedral Gorge for a few years now, so I'm very excited that we'll be stopping there on this trip.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had such a great month! I'm so glad you weren't affected by the shootings. And how nice that you can get out of the city to the trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trails outside of the city are some of my favorite things about living in Las Vegas. :)

      Delete
  3. What beautiful views on that trail! You've had a great month and yup we're well into October already! I hope your foot heals and you'll be right back on your way to your yearly goal!
    So when I'm in Vegas in November, tell me one thing I absolutely need to do. I've never been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tricia! I hope to try for a run tomorrow. My toe still hurts, but I want to test it out. I'm super cheap, so I always tell people to be sure to catch the Bellagio water show and stop at the Flamingo Wildlife Habitat. The volcano show at the Mirage is really cool, too.

      Delete