Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tuesday's Tip #8

My goodness! Tuesday's have really been sneaking up me lately! I was so good at the beginning of the year about planning out my Tuesday's Tip post over the weekend, but the past several weeks now, suddenly it's Tuesday morning. Yipes!

I didn't want to miss another week, so I'm going to share two very simple tips to being a bit more green at home.

But first, I'm being spotlighted over at Racing Bananas today! You can check it out here and then come back for my tips on being green.


#1. Do you use a dishwasher? One super simple way to be a bit more green is to not use the Dry cycle OR at least turn off the Heat option. Maybe it's just my dishwasher, but the Dry cycle doesn't ever seem to really get my dishes very dry anyway. Especially those pesky plastic containers I use for leftovers.

I recently discovered air drying my dishes. So simple! Just open your dishwasher. It might be a little inconvenient to have your dishwasher open, but your dishes will dry faster. I promise. And you'll have saved a tiny bit of energy by not having your dishwasher do a half-assed job at drying. :)

#2. Make your own vegetable stock. Seriously this is so simple! You know all those bits of vegetables that you'd normally throw away? I'm talking about the end of celery stocks or carrots, the outer layer of onions, potato peels, etc. Next time you're cutting up veggies, don't throw these out. Instead, put them in a plastic bag and throw them in the freezer.

Once you have a full bag, you're ready to make some stock.

Simply put the veggies in a slow cooker. Cover with water and cook on low for 5-6 hours. You could also add some salt or a few other seasonings. Strain all the veggies, and voila! You've got some delicious, homemade vegetable stock. Perfect for soups, casseroles, or whatever else you normally use stock for.

Not only will you feel good about knowing exactly what's in your stock, you'll have gotten extra use out of veggies you'd normally throw out. That's a win-win in my book.

That's it! Two very simple tips that anyone can do.

What tips do you have for being a bit more green in your home?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

1 comment:

  1. These are great tips! I recently started doing the dishwasher one. Mine automatically turns it on & I didn't realize it until a few weeks ago...so now I make sure ot turn it off every time. The veggie stock one has always been a favorite. I love collecting my bag of veggies in the freezer then making some yummy stock! So fun!

    ReplyDelete