Saturday, July 19, 2014

It's gonna be TOUGH!

This morning Jeff and I woke up early, threw on our new tri-suits, and headed out to Lake Mead.


Oh, have I mentioned that we've decided on our 1st triathlon? Well, we haven't registered or anything, but we're pretty set on doing the Pumpkinman Sprint at Lake Mead.

We've been swimming for all of our Half Marathon training cross training days, but decided we should get some practice out in the lake. Since we live close enough to Lake Mead, and that's where the triathlon will be, we decided today was the perfect day to get to it.

IT WAS AWFUL.

I have never liked swimming. I'm the girl who in junior high used every excuse possible to get out of swim days for PE.

I've always said I'd do a triathlon - if it weren't for the whole swimming thing.

Well, today, all that came crashing into me with every. single. wave.

We ended up swimming, we think, about 250m. About 1/3 of the distance of the sprint tri. I barely made it. We swam out to one buoy. Took a break. Swam out to another buoy. Took a long break. I'm talking about FOUR minutes. Swam back to the first buoy, and then swam back to the entry point.

It was super windy out there, and the waves were crazy (for me). Thankfully, we were with the current on the way back, which I think cut our time in like half. Or so it seemed to me.

Getting to the first buoy was the HARDEST. I didn't think I could do it. BUT I DID!

Now, I know I need a LOT more training in. the. lake. But I've got almost 3 months to get a little more comfortable.

Have you ever run a triathlon?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

5 comments:

  1. If it weren't for the swimming, I might try one, too. It's great that you're taking on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a challenge for me, but my husband loves to swim. Sometimes it's about compromise. Lol.

      Delete
  2. I too worry about the swimming portion. I think it is awesome that you are tackling this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby! I'm lucky to have a really supportive husband, who is doing this with me. We're going to equal each other out - he's a stronger swimmer, I'm a stronger runner, we're about equal on the bike. :)

      Delete
  3. I thought that I would like swimming in the lake better than a pool because I find laps tediously boring, but I'd forgotten about the waves and current.

    ReplyDelete