Thursday, December 29, 2016

2016 in Review

One of the things I love most about December is looking back at all the fun I had throughout the year. 2016 was no exception!

Here is a recap of the year. Well, since this blog was inactive most of the year, this might be new-to-you, instead of a recap. 😄 Unless you follow me on Instagram. Then this might be a recap after all. 😉

January

The year started out with a road trip back from MN. We drove to MN at the end of 2015 for my aunt's funeral, stayed through New Year's and then drove back to Vegas. It was a sad occasion, but really nice to see my family.


After road tripping in our tiny little car, we decided to add a new member to our family, Roxie!


I ran my first race of the year, Sin City Shootout. I ran a 5k followed by a 10k and got some pretty sweet bling.


Jeff totally surprised me with an afternoon date at Springs Preserve. You can read all about it here or read Jeff's POV here.


February

Not too much happened in February - other than some pretty great runs, both solo and with Janel when we started training for her first half marathon.


March

Lots more hiking and trail running! Some hiking with Jeff & Sallie; some trail running with Janel.

I also ran the Zion Half Marathon.


April

Jeff and I decided to hike the Historic Railroad trail (video) and reminisce on how we ended up in Vegas back in 2012.


We also day tripped out to Death Valley (video). I would really love to go back again at least once in 2017.


I finished out April with the Recycled Run Half Marathon. It was Janel's first half marathon, and I was so grateful to be able to run it with her. We had a great time.


May

We started off May with a hunt for some waterfalls in Red Rock (video). We found some baby ones. A waterfall is a waterfall, no matter how big or how small.


I participated in the United Relay at Sunset Park. It was supposed to be a group run, but I was the only one who signed up. whomp whomp.


In mid-May, we drove up to Zion Ponderosa Ranch for Ragnar Trail Zion. This was the first year that Jeff came with me. It was fun to share this experience with him. :)


On our way back to Vegas, we stopped at the Beaver Dam Mountains Wilderness Area and did a little hiking.


June

The Summer RW Run Streak started on Memorial Day and ended on the 4th of the July. I wasn't feeling 100% and didn't want to risk a running injury, so I knew I was going to walk a mile some days. Since I'd be doing some walking, I decided to add the extra challenge of running or walking a different location every day for the 36 days of the streak AND posting a video for each day as well!


I don't travel much for work, but I did get to go on a business trip to Colorado Springs in June. It was glorious!

July

My friend Molly and her family were in town for the 4th of July, and we got to spend the afternoon with them. We went to the Flamingo Wildlife Habitat, watched the Bellagio fountain show,  walked through the Botanical Garden and saw the World's Largest Chocolate Fountain.


Later that night, I dragged Jeff to see the Squirrel Nut Zippers with me at Downtown Grand's rooftop pool. They are one of my favorite bands of all time! While most of the members were not from the original group, I still had a great time!


Most of July was spent in Costa Rica. We had to go back to finish Jeff's dental work. We went for a lot of walks while we were there, but I also was working from home, so I wouldn't have to waste my vacation days when we couldn't really do too many tourist attractions/ventures while we were there.

The one thing I wanted to do while we were in Costa Rica was to go on a waterfall tour! Mission accomplished! It was so much fun.



August

I turned 39?! How crazy is that! :) We didn't do too much to celebrate, since we had just returned from Costa Rica the week before. We did go to Grimaldi's for my free birthday pizza, of course!


September

Not much happened in September, which was probably needed after all the activity so far in the year! :) I did start my first ever Nike+ training program. I really enjoyed having a workout plan - complete with running and strength workouts.

Oh, wait! My friend Molly came back to Vegas for her big 4-0, and we had lunch with her and her husband before they flew back home.

October

I'd been wanting to check out the 7 Magic Mountains for awhile, so we made a quick trip out there.


We love visitors, so we were excited to get a visit from Jeff's sister and nephew, Trudy and Eli. Trudy flew in on Saturday. We took her to watch the Bellagio fountain show and then we walked through the Botanical Garden and had dinner at Margaritaville.

Eli flew in the next day, and we all ate at Heart Attack Grill. That is an experience to remember! You have to wear a hospital gown because you're going into surgery. Their menu is varying bypass burgers - from a single to an octuple bypass - and if you don't finish, you get spanked by your waitress. Eli was sure to finish his entire burger!


We spent the rest of the afternoon lounging around until it was time for Trudy and Eli to head to the Blue Man Group, the reason for their visit.

The next day, we were going to go bowling at Brooklyn Bowl, but it was closed for a concert. Instead, we just walked around that end of the Strip.


November

I restarted this blog!

Janel and I hadn't gone trailing running in FOREVER, so we attempted to run the White Rock Loop in Red Rock. Turns out we weren't feeling very good that day, and the terrain was hard on Sallie's tootsies, so we ended up mostly walking the trail. Sallie had to be carried for some of it, because she was moving so slow. It took several days for her to recuperate. Poor girl.


I ran the PJ 5K with Janel. Running it in 2015 was our first race together.


Since we are far away from family and couldn't afford to travel, we spent Thanksgiving hiking Calico Basin. It was a beautiful day, and we were surprised at how crowded it was. The parking lot was practically full!


December

An old friend of mine from elementary school often comes to Vegas to celebrate her birthday. This year, we got to meet up with her and her husband for Happy Hour at Pink Taco. It was really fun!


Finally, we celebrated 12 years of marriage at Silk Road Asian Bistro.


Wow! What a year!!


What was your favorite moment of 2016?

Check out my previous end-of-year posts: 2014, 2013, and 2011.

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

No comments:

Post a Comment