Monday, January 2, 2017

Happy 2017!

As much as I love December and reflecting back on the previous year, I  New Years even more!
I feel like it's a clean slate, so full of promise.
A chance to look ahead and decide on what you want to accomplish.


I'm really excited about the goals I've set for 2017.


Personal Goals

Clean it Out, Use it Up

I have so many items in my kitchen cupboards that I bought for some reason or other but have never used. I also have a lot of clothes in my closet that I haven't worn in years and beauty products that I've never used.

ONCE A WEEK, I'll select a cupboard or section of my closet, choose something I haven't ever used,
or haven't used in a while, and USE IT! If I can't find a use for it or it no longer fits, then I'll either toss it or donate it. And choose something else that I CAN USE. 😊

Be sure to follow me on Instagram, Twitter and/or Facebook for more up-to-the-minute updates on this goal. And maybe vote on the item I should use!


Be more active in the local running community.
Go on at least 8 group runs
I'm such a solo runner! I love hitting the streets or the trails on my own and haven't really found a good fit with any of the local running groups. I think this is the year for that to change.

Volunteer at 3 or more local races
This is partly to be more active in the running community, but it's a little selfish as well... I want the race credit! Races aren't really in the budget, but if I can volunteer and earn some credit, I might be able to manage a couple races in 2017.


Run at least 600 miles.
That's only 50 miles a month. Looking through my Nike+ app from the past year, it seems this will definitely be a bit of a challenge. But totally manageable - with a bit of focus. 😉


Optional:  Hike Grand Canyon R2R2R with Katie and Kristy in June.
I'm going to take the first few months of the year to do some training before I make a final decision on this, but the prospect is exciting!


Goals with Jeff:


12 Trails of 2017
There are so many trails in the area that we have yet to discover! Each month, we'll tackle a new {to us} trail.

I'm not sure if I'm more excited about discovering new trails OR about this fun graphic I created to chart our progress. LOL.


Current Events Night
I tend to stay in my own little world and focus on my own thing. I hadn't even heard about the Standing Rock protest until it had been in full swing for several months. Jeff was shocked that I hadn't heard anything about it. Guess that's what happens when most everyone I follow across social media is All.About.Running!

This one current event was a wake-up call for me! So, I came up with the idea of having a current events night once a month. A night where we turn off the TV, disconnect from social media and discuss something that is going on in the world. Not to change anything or make a difference, but just to become aware of world issues/events.

It will work something like this:
  • We'll choose a night each month (it won't be the same from month to month).
  • In the time leading up to the designated night, we'll casually poke around in the news to see if anything in particular strikes us as worthy of further discussion or research.
  • If nothing comes up, then we'll check out some news sites when I get home from work to decide on a topic.
  • We'll spend a few hours discussing.

My hope is that if I have advanced notice I'll be more engaged in the conversation and less distracted by social media.

That's it!

I'm really excited about 2017 and the goals that I've set. I feel like they're well-rounded and will help to improve both my physical and mental wellbeing. I hope you're excited to follow along!

What are you most looking forward to in 2017?
Did you set any goals for the new year?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

20 comments:

  1. I need to become more active in the local running groups!

    Hey, I'm an admin for a FB Fitness Blogger group. The goal of the group is to increase engagement on our social media accounts. Would you be interested? You can check it out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1450902055166119/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! I requested to join the FB group. Looking forward to connecting with other bloggers.

      Delete
  2. Great set of resolutions! I hope you're able to meet each one in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the use it or lose it idea. I started doing something similar with bath and body products.

    Sounds like you have an exciting 2017 planned already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I seem to have more of a weakness for kitchen products than bath and body, but I'm a sucker for nail art. I know I have quite a bit that I have even tried yet.

      I'm definitely looking forward to a great year. :-)

      Delete
  4. I haven't really set goals, but I love the current events night! I usually know what's going on, but I try not to watch a whole lot of news, and usually not til later in the day, so I can be behind the eight ball often, too.

    Running groups are tough for me. I've really had a hard time finding people that run my pace -- or are willing to slow down for me. :( I LOVE to run in a group, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! I'm excited for the current events night, because I tend to avoid the news. :-(

      That's exactly my problem with groups. I find I have such a weird pace - too fast for the slower runners, but not fast enough for the faster runners. I had a great running group back in MN, but haven't really found the connection in Vegas. Yet. :-)

      Delete
  5. I could some more local activity as well. You have great goals cleaning out needs to be one of mine. This could really be a challenge goal for me! I lack the commitment but I could commit to training for the entire year.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I run a very small local running group but I have a hard time getting people to come to group runs. I've decided I need to start branching out more and go to other group runs. Maybe I'll make it a goal like you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It's a great goal (I hope). :-) I don't live very conveniently to any groups, so that part of my issue.

      Delete
  7. Just think, if you do R2r2r that knocks out 50 miles in one weekend!! 😬
    I like your goal of doing a new trail every month. I so badly wish we had trails around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Good point. 😉

      Yes, the trail goal should be a fun one.

      Delete
  8. I love ALL of these goals. I always thought I was a solo runner until I found a group that I loved, and now I can't wait to get up early to go drive somewhere so I can run with people. :)

    I am also a big hiker so I love your new trails goal! And the graphic. We definitely need to do some research to keep finding new trails. Sometimes I feel like we've hiked all the ones near us, but I know we haven't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessie! So awesome you were able to find the perfect group for you. I'm hoping to find one this year for weekend runs.

      I'm so excited about the trails goal, too.

      Delete
  9. I love your closet idea! I moved not long ago so mine aren't all that bad, but I have other things that I save up thinking I will use, or clothing. I think I may just take that idea and once a month clean out things I am not using, or like you said make sure to use it!
    I know you haven't decided, but if it ends up fitting for your life and schedule, we'd love to have you on the R2R2R hike!!!
    Have fun hitting up all those trails by you! I often make my way your direction for a little hiking, the surrounding Las Vegas area is really so beautiful, I love Red Canyon I need to make it back there soon! Looking forward to your local hiking adventures, as they may give me a few ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristy! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the R2R2R adventure. :-)

      Next time you venture to Vegas for some hiking, definitely let me know!!

      Delete