Sunday, October 6, 2013

What a great Saturday!

Normally, I share a menu plan on Sundays, but I haven't planned this week's meals yet, plus I wanted to tell you about my Saturday!

It's finally cool enough here in Vegas that I didn't need to awake at the crack of dawn to get my run in before it got way. too. hot.

It felt great to sleep in and awake without an alarm.

I headed out for my run around 8:30am. I was hoping to get in 16-18 miles, and my route ended up being 16.5. Whoo hoo!!

Not sure if I've shared it on the blog specifically, but I've really been struggling with running here in Vegas. Not from the heat, but I've really been missing the MN running trails. Miles and miles and miles of paved trails around the lakes and throughout the city. You could run and run and run.

It seemed like all the recommended trails here in Vegas were mountain trails, and as I discovered last weekend, not really my thing.

This past week, I did a little research trying to find something, anything even remotely comparable to MN. It was all still a little frustrating, but then I was reminded of a trail I'd discovered last fall. The Flamingo-Arroyo trail. It's only 3 miles from my apartment, and it goes for miles and miles. Technically, I think it's just under 9 miles, so out and back is 18 plus the 6 for me to get to/from the trail, I could easily run this trail for 24 miles. Yay!!

I thought I'd share a few pictures from the trail.

All the trailheads have a neat sculpture like this one.

flamingo arroyo sloan trailhead

They also have fun little shelters at the trailheads.

flamingo arroyo sloan trailhead shelter

Many of the walls have murals painted on them.

flamingo arroyo murals

There are spectacular views of the mountains.

flamingo arroyo pedestrian bridge

And several crazy pedestrian bridges. Other than the bridges, it's a pretty flat trail.

On the way back, there are beautiful views of the Strip. Pictures couldn't even come close to capturing it, though.

Oh, there was a cool piece of history at the Lamb trailhead.

stardust rubble

The placard is a little hard to read, but it basically tells the story of the chunk of rubble. It's from the Stardust Hotel, which was built in 1955 and demolished in 2007. This rubble symbolizes the nearly constant self-reinvention of the Las Vegas Strip, and the rubble from recent demolitions was used as landfill in creating this trail.

This will likely be my regular trail going forward, but I'm hoping to discover more as well. Around mile 7, it hooks up with the Las Vegas Wash trail, so I'm thinking of checking that one out a bit more.

After my run, I watched some TV while stretching, then showered and headed to Wal-mart before getting ready for LUCKYRICE.


LUCKYRICE was an Asian Night Market at the Cosmopolitan. We met up a few of my co-workers, and had so much fun!

There was tons of different food to try and some delicious drinks. Here's a look at the tasting menu. I tried so many things that I'd normally never try, like White Chocolate Curry Soup and Chilled Tapioca Noodle Salad.

My favorite, though, was the Hoisin Braised Short Rib Steamed Bun with 5-Spice Rubbed Tenderloin and Sweet & Sour Pickles from Todd English Pub.

There was so much more I wish I'd tried.

LUCKRICE was at the Boulevard Pool on the roof of the Cosmopolitan. It was really beautiful overlooking the lights of the Strip with elegant pools, too.


It was such a fun evening; I really wish I'd taken more pictures. Maybe next year. :)

How was your Saturday?


Other ways to follow Enjoying the Course:
Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Pinterest → clarindad

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

4 comments:

  1. I just recently read an article about running in Vegas, and I remember the author talked about some trails out of town that were REALLY hilly, but then was shown one closer to town that was more flat - I'm betting that was it! The artwork and sculptures are nice. I like it when there is a little effort put into trails like that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I really think that makes the trail even better. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you found a great trail! Looks amazing. I wish we had trails like that around here. Maybe we do and I just haven't discovered them! Luckyrice sounds like fun! And you look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were trails similar to this all over the Twin Cities, so I was very spoiled.

      LuckyRice was super fun, and I can't believe I forgot to mention all the ice cream varieties I tried!

      Delete