Wednesday, December 11, 2013

What's Next?

My marathon is over. What? You haven't read the recap yet? Go read it here. I'll wait.

It was an amazing experience, and I'm glad that I decided to get out there and claim the marathoner title once again.

Will I run another one? I hope so. Maybe even in 2014. Maybe even twice in 2014. Who knows?

The only race I actually have scheduled right now, though, is the Mustang 50th Half Marathon in April. Who else running it?

Ideally, I think I'd like to do another marathon in May or June and then *maybe* Tri-States again in Nov (they moved it earlier in the year, so maybe it won't be so cold) or something. Do you have a favorite race I should check out?

Anyway, I attempted a run yesterday morning. It wasn't pretty. My shins were screaming by 0.35 miles, and I knew I'd be lucky if I got in a full mile. I did! But I decided that was enough.

A little disappointed, I posed the question on Twitter.

So I guess now is the time to step back a bit from running.

I think I'll take at least a week off entirely, and then start doing short, easy runs. I plan to increase my yoga and do some of the many, many workouts I've pinned to my Workouts board. And maybe I'll start biking to work again. Cold, cold GO AWAY!!

Ultimately, there are a lot of things I wish I would have done differently in training for Tri-States, and I really believe that strengthening my core and cross training will help immensely in making me a stronger runner.

And I want to be a stronger runner before I start training again for another Marathon.

What's your favorite way to cross train?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing another marathon! Each one is different and I couldn't really say how long it takes to recover even for me. It seems like too long! Enjoy the recovery time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! The last one took me several years, so hopefully that won't happen again. :-)

      Delete
  2. Give yourself that time off, your body with thank you!
    As for cross training, keep in mind that runners lack and need lots of lateral movements to help hip stability. (that's from the therapist/trainer in me :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ally! I'm definitely going to take it easy for a bit.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the marathon! Enjoy the time off. You and your body deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anastasia. I still haven't started running again yet, but I've been working out. My body deserves that, too. :)

      Delete