Tuesday, February 18, 2014

How to Get Over a Cold Quickly

The cold season is in full force! What is the fastest way to get rid of a cold? Here are my best tips.

How to get over a Cold Quickly | www.enjoyingthecourse.com


1. Drink lots of water 


This is almost always my downfall. I really struggle with getting in enough water each day, but it's so helpful in getting over a cold. Water is the best, but drinking other fluids is great, too. Just try to get in as much liquid as possible. Here are some tips on how to drink more water.


2. Eat only when you're hungry 


It's natural for you to experience a loss of appetite.
Loss of appetite is your body’s natural defense mechanism for fevers, as it helps the immune system focus its energy on fighting pathogens. (source)
When you do feel like eating, try to consume things that are full of nutrients like fruit and vegetable juices and warm broths.

Consuming lots of liquids (water, juices, broth) helps keep the secretions thinner, so they can be flushed out of your system faster, which helps alleviate symptoms such as a cough or nasal drainage.


3. REST


This is probably the most difficult one. We're usually being pulled in several different directions and have so many things to do, but it's important to just STOP and REST. Seriously, take naps, watch mindless TV, read a book. If possible, stay home from work and skip the workout. Yes, I said it. Your body has enough going on trying to heal you. :)


4. Practice good hygiene 


All too often when you're sick, hygiene takes a back seat; you don't shower or brush your hair or get out of your PJs. Tell me I'm not the only one! Even if you don't take a shower, washing your hands becomes very important when you're sick. Spend the day with a box of tissues and a bottle of hand sanitizer by your side. Also, remember to cover your mouth (use your elbow, not your hand) when you cough. :)


What are your common cold remedies?


Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a nurse. These are just tips that seem to have worked for me. Obviously, if you're feeling more than a moderate cold, please see your doctor and follow any instructions you receive.

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

11 comments:

  1. Great tips! I hope you are feeling better. I tend to eat when I'm sick as if eating a lot of food will somehow make me feel better?! But I agree, drinking tons of fluids helps!!

    ~ Lora @ Crazy Running Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely starting to feel better. Yay! Cold or flu, I tend to lose my appetite. Or at least my motivation to make anything to eat. :-)

      Delete
  2. I make it a point to bump up my vitamin c intake when I'm feeling under the weather!

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea about the liquids. I always thought they went hand-in-hand with illness because it's easier to stick to liquids and they keep you hydrated. It may not be pretty to think about thinning secretions, but that is some interesting stuff! :). Thanks so much for linking up at Tips and Tricks Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I'd always thought of it as a hydration thing before, too, but this makes total sense.

      Delete
  4. Super good tips. I hope I've had my one and only cold for the year. It was a yucky one, so I'm doing all the hand washing and trying to stay healthy for no repeats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you, Ally. I hope this is one and done for me, too. :-)

      Delete