Friday, January 30, 2015

Big Game 5k Goals

Happy Friday!! Are you excited for the weekend?

I guess it's possibly a big weekend for a lot of people. I don't follow football at all, so I don't even *gasp* know who's playing this year.

BUT, I actually am doing more to celebrate the Super Bowl this year than, well, since before I can remember. :) What crazy plans do I have to celebrate?

Running my first race of 2015!

Would you even guess anything else?!

My first race is a 5k. There was a 10k option as well, but since I'm trying to work on speed this year, I opted for the 5k.

I've not been too consistent about writing goals for races in the past, and probably never for a 5k, but it's a new year. :-)


Goal A: Sub-30:00
Goal B: Sub-31:00
Goal C: Sub-33:00

Not even the A Goal would be anywhere near a PR, but at this point, I would be elated for a sub-30:00. I feel like it's been a very long time since I saw that happen.

I kind of took it easy in January after my marathon in November, followed almost immediately by the #RWRunStreak. I knew I needed to focus on something other than running, to give my body time to fully recuperate.

So, I did strength training and yoga with 1-2 easy runs a week. No speed work. No tempo runs. Just one-foot-in-front-of-the-other runs. Good runs. Meh runs. But no real challenging runs.

I'm using this first 5k of 2015 as a baseline race. To analyze where exactly my speed is at, and how far I have to go to meet my ultimate goal - a sub-25:00.

I'll also be counting this 5k as my first virtual race in Laura's Spring 5 by the 5th virtual race series. It's a fun race series. You run either a 5k or 5 miles in the first 5 days of the month from Feb to May. I think there are monthly prizes up for grabs, too. You should join the fun!

Anyone else racing this weekend? Running a Super Bowl race? Going to a Super Bowl party?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your race! I want a sub 30 5K myself this year! SuperBowl party for me this Sunday, I am just in it for the snacks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you're able to get a sub-30 5k this year!! :) Enjoy the Super Bowl party tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy the run! I'm hosting the super bowl party. Not so much for me but for the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! Hope your super bowl party is a smashing success!!

      Delete