Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Women of the 80s: A Totally Awesome Playlist

Last Thursday was International Women's Day, and I was pleasantly surprised at how many posts I saw come across my social channels celebrating the day. It seemed a much bigger deal this year, or maybe I was just paying more attention.

Women, of course, should be celebrated every day, but at least we have this one day set aside internationally as well as March also being National Women's History Month here in the U.S. (maybe other places as well).

One of my favorite genres to listen to while I run is 1980s pop, so I thought it would be fun to celebrate National Women's History Month with a playlist of the awesome female artists of the 1980s.

Women of the 80s: Your Running Playlist


Often when you mention 1980s music, I immediately think of Michael Jackson, Prince, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, and many more male artists.

So, who are the awesome Women of the 80s? Madonna and Cyndi Lauper first come to mind. But there are so many more great female artists from the 80s! I just had to think a bit harder to come up with them.

Thankfully Spotify helped jog my memory a bit by suggesting lots of great songs to add to my playlist.



Whitney Houston - definitely ranks up there with Madonna and Cyndi, wouldn't you say?!

No 80s list is really complete without a little Pat Benatar.

I was a huge fan of Tiffany (I even choreographed dances to a couple of her songs when I was a kid), Debbie Gibson, and Belinda Carlisle, too!

Don't worry there's plenty of Madonna and Cyndi Lauper in this playlist as well.

Get Pumped Up with this Awesome Playlist - Women of the 80s from @EnjoytheCourse #nationalswomensmonth #tunestuesday

Walking on Sunshine - this is actually one of my all-time favorite songs and was also included in my 23 Songs of Summer playlist.

I'm So Excited - if this song doesn't get you moving, I don't know what will.

I had so much fun putting this playlist together and it's definitely still a work in progress! I'll be adding more songs to it, so be sure to give it a follow if you're also on Spotify. You can easily follow by clicking on the green Spotify symbol in the playlist above to open it in your Spotify player.

Women of the 80s: Your Running Playlist

Do you like 80s music? What songs am I missing from this playlist? How are you celebrating National Women's Month?


I'm linking up today with KimSteff, and Janelle for Tunes Tuesday as well as Erika, Marcia and Patty for Tuesday's on the Run.

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

16 comments:

  1. Wow, I love your playlist!! 80's music is so fun and there were so many great female artists back then! Thanks for linking up with us for Tunes Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 80s music just makes me want to sing and dance...and RUN!! I'm glad I was able to find so many female artists for my playlist.

      Delete
  2. Thanks! Love all these tunes. Go Women!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never used to be a big fan of 80s music but we have a local band that plays nothing but that and the more I hear it the more I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All good choices. I have a playlist of just women artists, and some of these songs are on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lesley! Maybe you found more to add to your playlist. :D

      Delete
  5. I love the ladies from the 80s!! Just heard "holding out for a hero" the other day. Of course, now when I hear it all I can think of is Shrek LOL

    Irene Cara, Donna Summer (although she started in the late 70s) and Annie Lenox definitely need to be on that list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, the 80's definitely ROCKED in terms of music! I have always been a huge Madonna fan...I wish I would have had the opportunity to see her in concert back in the day (although, I'm sure she still gives an awesome show). How about Janet Jackson? Stevie Nicks? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madonna would have been awesome to see back in the day (though I was still kinda young). Definitely have some Janet on the list already but will add some Stevie Nicks!

      Delete
  7. I'm sad Whitney Houston is no longer. What a waste. Remember when the Pointer Sisters were white hot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is sad, but she did leave us with a lot of great tracks! :D

      Delete
  8. Love this idea for a playlist! The 80s were definitely an awesome time for women in music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! So many good songs that I kind of forgot about. (to my credit, I was pretty young in the 80s)

      Delete