Sunday, January 13, 2013

Busy College Student? Tips for Staying Healthy

Being a college student can be lots of fun! It can also be stressful and VERY busy. Early morning classes. Studying. Socializing. Studying. More classes. Partying. Being away from home. Making new friends. Exams. Papers. Presentations.

It's definitely an exciting time! But it can also be filled with lots of pressure and, at times, it can be difficult to remember balance. Let's be honest, maintaining a healthy lifestyle does not always take priority. 

Despite all the craziness of college, there are some things you can do to maintain a healthy lifestyle while balancing all facets of college life. While it's been more than a decade since I was an undergrad student, I was a grad student just last year, so college life isn't too distant a memory. ;-) Besides I think all the following tips are good advice for more than just college students.

Enjoying The Course: Busy College Student? Tips for Staying Healthy
  1. Walk or bike around campus. If you attend a large university, you may be tempted to drive across campus to attend class. Instead, save gas and money by walking or biking to class. This could also apply to living off-campus at, perhaps, a smaller university or college. If possible, you could also try scheduling your classes, so that you're forced to walk to different areas of campus to get from one class to the next rather than having all your classes in the same building. If you do need to drive to campus, choose a parking spot in the back of the lot to give yourself longer distances to walk.

  2. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. This one is really difficult for me. I hate the stairs! Still, I know it's much healthier to take the stairs. Plus, there's the added benefit of it being a greener choice, too.

  3. Carry a water bottle with you to class and around campus. Keeping a water bottle handy is a great reminder to constantly be drinking water. Staying hydrated is so important! Drinking lots of water can help stave off hunger pains. Also, it helps flush out toxins and can leave you feeling refreshed and clean.

  4. Stash healthy snacks. When engrossed in a huge project or immersed in studying for a big exam, it's natural to want to munch on something. Sometimes water just doesn't cut it. At least that's been my experience. I still do this at my office now. Instead of stocking up on chips and candy, choose healthier snacks like veggie sticks and fruit or healthy crackers and cheese.

  5. Choose healthier options when dining on or off campus. College dining options aren't always the healthiest, but there are usually at least a few available items that might be a bit healthier. Maybe choose a veggie wrap instead of a burger or a small salad instead of french fries. When dining off-campus, same thing. Choose the healthier options - less fried, more veggies.

  6. Use the available athletic facilities. Most universities or colleges offer some sort of access to some athletic facilities. Use them. Better yet, invite your friends to join you. Or, you could attempt to read/study while using the treadmill, stationary bike, or stair climber. Or just use it as a study break. Don't worry about not knowing how to use a certain machine. The facilities are usually staffed with student workers who can assist you. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

  7. Join an active club. Most students aren't able qualified to be on an official team, but there are often myriad other available groups from running to biking to rowing to intramural sports. If there isn't one that meets your interests, try forming your own group.

  8. Volunteer in your community or around campus. Look around for opportunities to volunteer. I don't do this nearly as much as I'd like, but it seems that volunteer experiences often involve lots of walking or standing or physical labor of some sort. There is a lot of variety in what you can choose to do as well! You could try to do something that relates to your major or something completely different. Maybe look up your local chapter of Girls on the Run or become a Big Brother or Big Sister. At the very least, download CharityMiles to your smartphone and have them donate $$ for all the walking and biking around campus you'll be doing. :)

  9. Have dance party study breaks. We all need to take breaks from studying. Instead of vegging in front of the TV or computer, try cranking some music and dancing in your room. Alone or with friends. Or maybe play the Wii or Xbox Kinect or hit the gym.

  10. Drink responsibly. Some of those study breaks will be longer and might include some partying. Please do so responsibly. I don't think I need to go into all the negative things that can come from imbibing too much. Just remember that moderation is key.
Overall, my best advice is to remember that maintaining a healthy lifestyle is all about balance.
Have fun. 
Study hard. 
Create memories. 
Be safe and smart about all your choices.

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

14 comments:

  1. I love these :)
    I didn't start living an active/healthy life until after college.
    Parts of me wish I could do it all over again. So many healthy options in the dining hall, but I obviously went for the cheese fries!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divya,
      I'd like to say that I followed these tips while in college, but, well, I'd be lying. :)

      Delete
  2. When I was in college I walked EVERYWHERE! I didn't have a car until I was 21 years old... That helped a lot... But even when I got a car I pretty much still walked everywhere because driving to campus is expensive and just plain stupid, lol!

    I would totally recommend that students bring sugar-free, grass-fed beef jerky with them to class because eating protein definitely helps students focus in class! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our last apartment in MN was across the street from north campus, and one of our neighbors would drive to her classes on south campus - less than a mile away. We never really understood that.

      Great tip on the jerky! Have you tried Simply Snackin? It's so good! I'll be posting a review soon.

      Delete
  3. Wish I had these tips when I was in college although I did walk to work and back (45 minutes each way). Unfortunately I don't think that balanced out the cafeteria food and the partying because I was, shall I say, "Chubby".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's pretty difficult to find the balance. Nice job walking 45 minutes each way! That's awesome!

      Delete
  4. I love these tips! I'm in college, so they're perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charissa, I'm so glad to hear that. Hope you're enjoying college. Study hard, and all that. ;)

      Delete
  5. I gained the freshwoman FORTY.
    OOOH I NEEDED THIS ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did pretty good my freshman year, but my junior/senior years, well, not so much.

      Delete
  6. Great tips! I gained the freshman 15 and I NEVER thought I would be the girl to do it. Will pass this on to my little sister ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katelyn! I hope you and your little sister both find these helpful.

      Delete
  7. These are great! It was in college that I actually began my journey towards a healthier lifestyle. I feel like there are so many opportunities at this age to learn, and discover who we want to be, and it doesn't simply have to apply to our career--it is the perfect place to learn about who we want to be in our bodies and how we treat ourselves as well. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ari, I couldn't agree more! It is a great time to learn all kinds of things about ourselves. I'm happy to hear that you were able to begin your journey to a healthier lifestyle while in college. For me, unfortunately, it came years later (and I'm still working a lot on it).

      Delete