Saturday, January 5, 2013

5 by the 5th Virtual Race Series

The 5 by the 5th Virtual Race Series began this month, and I finally got out for a run this morning. The last possible day for January.



With this race series, you have the option of running either a 5K or 5 miles. Since one of my 2013 goals is to conquer a sub-25:00 5K, I chose to run a 5K. I figured it would be great for accountability each month and a nice way to hopefully measure some progress.

Unfortunately, I did several things wrong for this run.

1) My breakfast consisted of two cold pieces of leftover pizza.
2) I didn't drink any water before or during my run.
3) I started out WAY too fast.

But it all worked out okay. 
Time? 28:24.


That's only 12 seconds slower than my current PR. I was floored. I mean it was only my 2nd run since Dec 7th. I was really only hoping to measure a good route to use for the rest of the series and finish in less than 30 minutes. I'm not complaining. I'm pleased as punch to finish so fast for me.

Especially considering I felt like this run was really taking forever! When would I get to that last turn? The home stretch?

Probably because of that whole starting out too fast thing, plus it was a somewhat unfamiliar route.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it on the blog before or not, but I don't often run with music. I can run long distances or short, with or without music. I know lots of people who can't seem to run without music. I am not one of those people.

All that said, I decided to indulge a little today, so I headed to Rock My Run I set up an account there a long time ago, but I've never really used it or downloaded anything. to find a fun new running mix. I was really feeling a need for some 80s music, so I downloaded Miles and Mullets. I was a little hesitant about running to a mix from a DJ and not having the songs in full. I wasn't sure if the DJ would interrupt the mix or change up the original.

I was not disappointed with this mix! I loved all the songs! Fun to run to. Fun to sing to. Though I try to limit my singing while running. ;) The DJ didn't ever interrupt, but there were a couple times when the mix would switch to the next song too soon for my liking. I'd be disappointed for like a second before realizing that I loved the next song so much that I didn't really mind.

Plus, the mix truly helped me push myself harder - sometimes a little too hard. Yeah, I had to force myself to slow it down a little bit a few times.

Did you run today?
Are you participating in the 5 by the 5th series?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

10 comments:

  1. I'm doing the 5 by the 5th series too. I did several things wrong for my long run yesterday too and paid for it. I'm learning as I go though. I didn't drink enough, if any, water prior to the run. Big no-no! I won't do that again.

    Never heard of Rock my run! Thanks for sharing the link! I always run to music so I want to check it out. :) Good luck on your goal!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. Yeah. Water's important, but we all forget sometimes just how important it really is. :D

      Hope you find something good at Rock My Run!

      Delete
  2. What a neat challenge. And that is an awesome time Clarinda, you will beat 25 in no time. I listen to Pandora. I like not knowing what the next song will be ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stasha. I hope so, but I'm okay if it takes all year. :) I don't even listen to Pandora, but sometimes I'll just put my phone on random, so I don't know what'd coming up.

      Delete
  3. You did great, Clarinda! And now you have a time to beat each month. I'm excited to see you go after your goal... thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You say you did some things wrong...but it all seemed fine to me! I'd probably repeat the "experiment" if I had times like that. :-)

    I'll have to check out Rock My Run, sounds like my kind of thing as I love mixes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carli. I think I will. :) I want to get faster, so that might mean starting too fast and pushing too hard. Well, not too hard. I don't want to get injured...

      Rock My Run is great! I think you can get a new mix for free once a month or so. I really need to use it more often.

      Delete
  5. Nice job on your run! Somehow the first 5 days of the month got away from me and I didn't get this month's 5 by 5 done. Great start to the year huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suz! It was a fun one. :) Hope your month is getting better. Remember there's always Feb-Jun for the series. ;)

      Delete