Monday, January 28, 2013

When I Grow Up

Stasha's birthday is coming up, and she thought it would be fun to celebrate with a list of dreams. Dreams of what we hoped to be when we grew up. Every child has grandiose dreams of being/doing fantastic things when she grows up, right?

10 Things I Wanted to Be When I Grew Up

  1. Teacher. As a child, the only thing I can definitely remember wanting to be when I grew up was a teacher. In fact, I used to play house with my younger brother and sister. Complete with homework and tests. My desire to become a teacher started to wane while I was in high school, and by the time I started college, it wasn't even on my radar anymore. Of course I now have my master's in teaching, but am still not a teacher.
  2. Famous Singer. Two problems with this. I don't sing very well. I'm a bit shy. Also, I kind of wanted this out of spite after auditioning for several school plays and singing groups only to be shot down because I wasn't good enough.
  3. Dancer. Um, well, I'm actually not very graceful. Nor do I have rhythm. This was just kind of a wishful thinking dream. Like the Famous Singer one.
  4. Actress. Again, there's that whole shy thing. And I don't really like how I sound on camera. Oh, and  I get so nervous in front of a camera, that I'm not very relaxed.

  5. ... And for a few more practical dreams ...

  6. Piano teacher. From my home. I even considered being a music major, but some of the theory classes were too hard.
  7. Computer programmer. I knew this computer science was a growing field, and I could be successful at it, but it seemed so tedious, boring, and my heart really wasn't in it.
  8. Filmmaker. I even went to 1 1/2 quarters of film school. Unfortunately, there was too much emphasis on writing screenplays. I didn't want to write the movies. I just wanted to be the one behind the camera.
  9. Musician publicist. I went through a music-loving phase and wanted to help musician get noticed and get contracts, but then I decided I really don't have the personality for promotions. I'm too shy.
  10. Lawyer. Entertainment law. If I couldn't promote them, I could at least be their lawyer, right? It came down to not wanting to go to more school and really didn't want to have to learn about all the other types of law.
  11. Doctor. This one should have probably been included in the first part of the list, because it was never really a serious consideration. It was born more out of a feeling of not knowing what I wanted to do or be after I'd been out of college for a few years and still didn't have a career.
More than any of these, though, I wanted to be a mom.

None of these have panned out for me, but what about you?
What did you want to be when you grew up? 
Did any of your childhood dreams come true?


Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

14 comments:

  1. Love the new look! I used to want to be a veterinarian. I love animals! Not too late to follow your dreams girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to be a marine biologist. I figured it was a good way to swim with whales and other marine life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to be a vet until I was about 10 and we had to have our dog put to sleep. Ever since then I wanted to be a teacher and here I am 20something years after the original plan still doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome that you're still doing the original plan! :)

      Delete
  4. I think actress was a part of my list too but only because it was added by my parents. I performed on a daily basis in my tween tween years. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they loved that, but if it's not your dream, it would be hard to pursue it. :)

      Delete
  5. This is a great post, I so wanted to be a vet when I grew up- bt what I realized was the same as Abby I had to put a beloved animal to sleep and couldn't take it after that. :( My Mom always said if I could be an Animal Rescuer (and Keeper) that would be the ideal job for me. I love your post, its so great to see everyone's aspirations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was fun to read about everyone's aspirations, wasn't it?

      Delete
  6. I love your new blog design Clarinda! So cheerful (well, your other one was too). I was surprised by your comments on filmmaking school - I would have thought the focus would be the other way around. Interesting.

    I'm sorry your dream of being a mom didn't come true. It must be a hard thing to come to terms with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Azara! I like it, too. :)

      Well, there was an emphasis on the actual filmmaking, too, but I just didn't want any emphasis on the writing part. I'm not really an idea person.

      It's okay on the mom thing. Mostly I'm all good with it, but every once in awhile, heart strings are pulled.

      Delete
  7. Great list, 2 and 4 didn't work our for me either, for pretty much the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete