Monday, January 27, 2014

10 Names I Would Have Named Myself

Growing up, I was not a huge fan of my name.

Clarinda

It was long.
It was hard to spell and hard to pronounce. At least it seemed that way to my teachers.

I was a little bit envious of the Jennys and Amys and Sarahs. These names were so common. Everyone knew how to pronounce them. And you didn't stand out with a weird name.

So, I was a bit intrigued by this week's Monday Listicles theme (chosen by Coletta).



10 Names I Would Have Named Myself


1. Micala
2. Brooke
3. Alison
4. Rachel
5. Rebecca
6. Christy
7. Laura
8. Sarah
9. Amy
10. Ava

Of course, I love my name now that I'm older. I love how I was named after my great-grandmother (my mom's mom's mom). I love how it's unique and uncommon. To be honest, it's been years since I've even thought of having a different name, so this list is mostly names I would have named myself today, not necessarily names I'd dreamed of back in the day.

Do you like your name? Would you have named yourself anything different?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

15 comments:

  1. Isn't this funny. A girl with an unusual name wanting a common name, and a girl with a common name (that's me) wanting an unusual name, but who are now both happy with their names. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this. :-) Seems when we're young that we often want what we aren't. Guess that is true with names, too.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Love this list. I like simple, classic names. I love my name. And for the record, if my son would have been a girl he would have been Brooke (actually Brooklynn but we would have called her Brooke). Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love names that can be shortened! Brooklyn is lovely.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I'm named after my father's mother, Jamie. Who was supposed to be James, a boy. I like Brooke too. I just like the way it looks written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. There's something kind of elegant and also strong about Brooke.

      Delete
  4. Lol. That is awesome! Too funny. :-D I've never heard the name Missoura before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clarinda is a VERY cool name. I also love the name Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your name! Of those on your list, I think I like Ava best. I, too, was frustrated by people having issues with my unique name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's hard when you're young and just want to fit in.

      Delete
  7. Love that we all actually love our names. I do really love yours. Even more now that I know it runs in your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make it more fun telling people it's a family name. My sister was named after our dad's mom's mom. Treva.

      Delete
  8. I hated my name growing up. (Stasy is just a nickname.) It's Russian, which means long and people never pronounce it right (even to this day.) I wanted to be Emma. I don't know where I heard it, but ever since I was about six or seven, that's what I wanted.

    Now, I love my name. The only time I get annoyed about it being pronounced wrong is when my mother-in-law does it. (And I swear she does it on purpose!) If I ever am lucky enough to have a daughter, though, she will be an Emma or something similar that isn't so unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is an English name and people had a hard enough time pronouncing it. I can't even imagine growing up with a name from a different language.

      Delete