Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tuesday's Tip #3 - How to Drink More Water

Do you struggle with drinking enough water? Maybe you forget to have a glass or maybe you don't enjoy the taste (or lack of taste). Or maybe you just get busy. Or you drink too many other things and water takes a back seat.

Way too often, I get to the end of the day and think... Damn! I didn't drink enough water today. After several days, I can really feel it. My body feels heavier and lazier. Even my outlook tends to be more negative.

So, this post is possibly more for me than anyone, but hopefully you'll find it helpful, too!

How to Drink More Water


1. Always have a water bottle nearby. Not only is it a visual reminder, but it's also very convenient.

2. Drink a full glass multiple times a day. Sipping isn't usually enough for me. I find it difficult to get in enough by sipping alone.
Try setting an alarm to help remind you throughout the day.
The best times to drink a glass of water are first thing in the morning, 30 minutes before meals, and right before bed.
3. Alternate with your other beverage of choice. Jeff drinks a lot of soda and is trying to drink more water. Instead of grabbing another soda, he'll have a glass of water first. Or he'll have both a glass of water and a soda together and alternate taking drinks from each.

4. Buy expensive bottled water. The guilt of spending the money and not drinking it may be just the motivation you need to drink up. This is definitely not the greenest of options, so be sure and recycle.

5. Infuse your water with fruit, veggies, and/or herbs. Probably the most common is adding lemon or lime, but how about strawberries, grapes, or watermelon? Cucumbers? Lavender, rosemary, or mint? The possibilities are endless.
Like the idea of infusing your water, but don't like the idea of choking on the pulp or herbs or whatnot floating in your water?

Here are a few items on Amazon that can help: Zing Anything water bottles, Jokari Healthy Steps Water Infuser, or the Deco Infusion Pitcher.
Check out my Pinterest board for more fun ideas.

Follow Clarinda's board Drink Water on Pinterest.

What other tips do you have for drinking more water?
Do you have a favorite flavor combo to drink?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linking up! I love this, because I feel the same way at the end of the day... I do keep a water bottle around at all times, but sometimes I think the kids end up drinking more than I do. I love the tip about having set times to drink a full glass. That is definitely a tip I will use, and I love knowing the best times to drink it! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! I'm so glad that you found it helpful. It's a good reminder to myself, for sure. :)

      Delete
  2. These are great tips. Fortunately, I don't have a problem drinking enough water. I won't even leave the house without my water bottle, even for just a quick trip to the store.

    I'll add using a bottle or cup with a straw top. People tend to drink more from the straw than sipping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A straw top! Ingenius!! :) I should switch to that from my more traditional water bottle at work. Thanks for the great tip.

      Delete
  3. I drink water out of water bottles since I have a really hard time drinking water in regular cups or glasses---I don't know it just doesn't taste the same (that's all in my head, I'm sure!) I'll also drink hot tea, especially in the winter, as a way to take in more water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a refillable bottle is such a great idea! Unfortunately, some days I just end up staring at it instead of drinking it. :-/

    ReplyDelete