Sunday, January 8, 2017

Week in Review - 1/8

How was the first week of 2017?

I'm going to shift my Week in Review posts to be Mon-Sun, instead of Sun-Sat. It just makes more sense to me, since Monday is more like the fresh start to the week. :-)

Week in Review - 01/08/16

Sunday, 1/1

This was the last day of the #RWRunStreak! I finished with a pretty unspectacular 1 mile run, because I got distracted creating a Running Log on Google Drive. I calculated all of my 2016 miles, at least the ones that I had logged with either Nike+ or Strava. I also added up all my Charity Miles. It made me much more confident in my 600 mile goal for 2017.


I've never really tracked my races, so I also added a tab to track them. I had to do a lot of googling to find official finish times, but I think I found them all. I made it so as I add new races it will auto-calculate any new PRs. I'm pretty excited about it.

In case you're interested, here are my current PRs. There are a few distances that I've only run once, but still a PR, right?! 😊



I also started using DailyMile again. If you use it, search for ClarindaD and add me as a friend, or leave your user name in the comments, and I'll add you. :-)

Jan 2 - Jan 8

Monday, 1/2

The Plan ↠ REST
Reality  ↠ The #RWRunStreak ended on Sunday, so my body was ready for a break. I rearranged my Nike+ training program a bit, so that Monday could be a rest day. I still did a yoga workout, though.


Tuesday, 1/3

The Plan ↠ NTC Workout | Ignition Points
Reality ↠ Done! It was a pretty easy, 15 minute workout. Probably should have done a little more, but it was back to work that day and I was running late.


Wednesday, 1/4

The Plan ↠ REST
Reality ↠ REST

I took advantage for the rest day and slept in until 6:15 am! Since I'm used to a longer morning before work, I ended up leaving quite late and then traffic was bad, so I ended up being 15-20 minutes late to work. Uh-oh. Good thing my boss is pretty laid back.

The mountains looked so gorgeous during my morning commute!


Thursday, 1/5

The Plan ↠ Speed work - 5x800m | 9:05 avg pace | 30 sec rest
Reality ↠ Done! Managed a 9:05 avg pace. Boom!

I really had to force myself out there this morning! I was feeling drained and my cold was still hanging on, but inspired by Judy's AON post, I decided to at least attempt the speed work. This is the first time I did intervals and actually rested between them. Normally, I walk through them.

While I'm really glad I did this run, it really wiped me out! I was so exhausted all day long and ended up going to bed early.

I actually threw something together in the slow cooker before work as well - Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili. I've made it before, but not in a really long time. It was as delicious as I remembered!

Probably not so healthy using chips as utensils, but so tasty!


Friday, 1/6
The Plan ↠ Recovery Run - 2.75 miles | 10:50 pace
Reality ↠ Nice easy 5k  | 10:41 pace

I had some household things to do before work, so I skipped my run. I packed some running stuff to bring to work with me, in the hopes it would motivate me to run after work before heading home. I'm so glad I did, because we ended up getting out of work early, so I didn't even have to run in the dark!

The route at work is downhill for the first half and then turnaround to run right back up the hill. I really had to force myself to run slowly, and time seemed to slow down as well. So glad I had some music to help keep me distracted and moving along.

My lower legs felt so tired and tight! I definitely did some rolling after I got home.


Saturday, 1/7

The Plan ↠ REST
Reality ↠ REST


Sunday, 1/8

The Plan ↠ Long Run - 5.75miles | 11:06 pace
Reality ↠ Nice, easy 5.16 miles | 10:49 pace


Technology was not on my side today. It shouldn't have affected me like it did, but it just deflated me. I paused my Nike+ app around mile 3 and then while the timer would restart, the GPS didn't seem to. It was stuck at 2.97, so I ended the workout and started a 2nd one. It didn't seem to work right as it showed I was moving much faster than I really was and the map was all.over.the.place. So frustrating! Also, CharityMiles stopped working during the first part. Thankfully, I checked it and restarted the workout at the time my Nike+ app stopped working. I added the Nike+ mileage/time with the CharityMiles mileage/time, and I *think* this is pretty accurate. At least closer to what it should have been, so I'm going with it.

In yesterday's Ultimate Coffee Date post, I mentioned I was going to bake some cookies. Well, that never happened, so I need to get them done today! As well as a little other food prep for the week.

How was your 1st week of 2017?
Does technology ever thwart your runs, deflate you, and leaving you feeling unsatisfied?


I'm linking up today with Tricia & Holly for the Weekly Wrap as well as Ilka & Angela for Sunday Fitness & Food.

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

25 comments:

  1. I always use nachos as a utensil when making chili. At least what you put on the nachos are healthy right? I should get more of a system in tracking my mileage. I just look it up from my gps and write it on my calender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one to use chips as a utensil. :) Nacho toppings are totally healthy - well, except maybe the sour cream. :-)

      Your tracking system seems OK to me, but I have a paper calendar. I like using GgoogleSheets, so it totals nicely for me.

      Delete
  2. I use daily mile too - dsc59.

    I also do my weekly update Mon-Sun.

    Looks like you had a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops - it's DarleneC

    dsc59 is me on Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found you and followed you on both! Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, when technology doesn't work it is so frustrating! I've wasted so much time trying to get things to synch when they didn't want to. Your post reminds me of how bad I am at tracking things. I haven't logged my weekend workouts and don't even really want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get them logged! You're regret it if you don't. LOL.

      I'm really hoping that 2017 will be the year of logging for me. :)

      Delete
  5. Ha! me and technology do not get along. And, most of it's on me (#techmoron). I do most of my stuff "old school" (pen and paper for stats/logs, and I seldom use my GPS watch for training runs unless I'm doing a new route and need to monitor the actual distance).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably better off for it! Sometimes the focus on technology is just.too.much. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Your 600 mile goal is a great one. I track my mileage using a chart too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby! It's seems so low, compared to other people. Guess that's why you gotta set goals for yourself and no one else. :-)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on getting that run streak done in the first week of the new year!!I have never done a run streak and I have tremendous respect for anybody completing one. Nice weekly training log with some nice pace during that speed workout!
    I love the pic with the mountains in the background - make me want to visit you area! It's absolutely gorgeous!
    Have a great training/running week Clarinda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ilka! Vegas is so gorgeous! I don't always take that route to work, because it takes a bit longer, but when I do, it's several miles driving right into that view. Breathtaking!

      Delete
  8. Nice start to the year and congrats on the RWRunStreak and Charity Miles! I really need to look into that app. The Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili looks sooo good! I love that we're in chili season, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janelle! CharityMiles is so easy. Definitely look into it.

      Chili season is one of the best things about winter. :-)

      Delete
  9. The technology that deflates me is if my iPod isn't charged or isn't working. I'm such a music runner, so if I don't have my music, I'm playing mind games with myself the whole run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that! I only occasionally listen to music when I run, but if I'm not charged and ready to go on those days that I need/want music, it really drags me down.

      Delete
  10. You have some great charity organizations you run for. How does this work? I'd like to make my runs count for something. I'd love some more info in this Clarinda.
    Thanks for joining us too,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tricia!

      It's super easy. All you do is download the app and start it when you start your run. :-)

      Perhaps I'll write up a little tutorial with step-by-step instructions to make it even easier.

      Delete
    2. That would be super cool! Thank you!

      Delete
  11. Thanks, Karen! It will take a bit of focus, but I'm hoping to be successful.

    That's always been my problem with keeping track of my races - actually remembering to keep track. Now that I have a fancy-pants Google Sheet, hopefully I'll be more likely to add any races to it.

    Some days are just a little easier to go with the flow when tech throws you for a loop. Yesterday was not one of them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could donate my runs to charity too! I will check out that app. Looks like you managed to stay on track throughout the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah! It's a fun app. I hope you check it out. :)

      Delete
  13. I need to check out the app, sounds awesome! Thanks for linking up at Sunday Fitness & Food :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to post a little tutorial on how to use Charity Miles. Hope you find it helpful. :)

      Delete