Sunday, January 29, 2017

Week in Review - 1/29

In case you missed my big announcement on Tuesday, I started training for an ultramarathon (55k) this week. It is a little intimidating and scary, but mostly exciting! I'll really be pushing myself, but also really listening to my body.

I mentioned I created my own training plan and wasn't really following anything tried & true. The race is in the beginning of April, so I have about 11 weeks to train (well, 10 more to go now). I'm focusing not just on running, but also on strength and stretching and rest.

I'm starting out with only 3 days of running (Wed, Sat, Sun), two rest days (Mon, Fri), and 2-3 days of strength workouts (Tue, Wed, Fri). I'm sure I'll be adjusting as I go.

Week in Review - 01/29/16

Monday, 1/23

The Plan ↠ REST
Reality  ↠ REST


Tuesday, 1/24

The Plan ↠ The Complete Crush | 45 min
Reality ↠ The Complete Crush | 48 min
This was a rep-based workout. I'm usually so slow at rep-based workouts, but I'm getting better! I really pushed myself during this workout and really took advantage of the 1 min seated deep breathing reps that were scattered in. I was definitely feeling this the next few days.


Wednesday, 1/25

The Plan ↠ Easy 2 mile run + LeanFit Benchmark
Reality ↠ 2 mile run with Sallie (11:35 min/mi pace) + Benchmark
Sallie did pretty good on this run with me! She's been very pokey lately, so I was pretty pleased that we managed this pace.

After the run, I did the Nike+ benchmark workout. It was 3 sets of:
30 Run in Place
25 Bodyweight Squats
20 Quick Feet In and Outs
15 Push-ups (I modified and did them on my knees)
10 Lateral Bounds
It took me about 8.5 minutes, and I was really going as fast as I could! I'm hoping to see some improvement over the next few weeks.


Thursday, 1/26

The Plan ↠ The Circuit Breaker | 29 min
Reality ↠ The Circuit Breaker | 29 min
This workout was timed, instead of rep-based. Another great workout!


Friday, 1/27

The Plan ↠ REST
Reality ↠ REST


Saturday, 1/28

The Plan ↠ 2-hour run, or at least 7 miles
Reality ↠ 1.5-hour hike | 2.46 miles
One of my 2017 goals with Jeff is to discover a new trail every month. We finally got the January trail knocked out.



Sunday, 1/29

The Plan ↠ 2.5-hour run, or at least 9 miles
Reality ↠ 3-hour run | 9.48 miles
I went back out to the same trail that Jeff, Sallie and I did on Saturday. It was TOUGH! I still enjoyed it, but it was a lot of elevation and a LOT of walking. I plan on going out there most Sundays - hoping it will get a bit easier with repetition. It's part of the course for the 55k in April.

Anthem East Trail
Lots and lots of switchbacks + a view of the Las Vegas Strip

DailyMile Summary: Jan 23-29
January 23-29


Clean It Out, Use it Up update

Week 4: Yogurt Starter, which I used to make Dairy-Free Coconut Milk Yogurt.


I used to make this a LOT, but haven't in a very long time. I keep the yogurt starter in the freezer, so it lasts longer. Hopefully, it's still good and I'll have some delicious yogurt to eat this week. Yum yum!

What was the highlight of your week last week?


I'm linking up today with Tricia & Holly for the Weekly Wrap as well as Ilka & Angela for Sunday Fitness & Food.

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

14 comments:

  1. The BIG highlight of my week was getting back outside! I'm so done with being cooped up inside my house...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! That is huge. It's starting to feel Spring-like here and I'm beyond excited. :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on signing up for a 55k! That's such an amazing goal! 10 weeks time is not a lot but I think you have enough running under your belt to make it happen! Is this your first Ultra btw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ilka! I haven't actually registered yet. I want to feel confident in my training first (plus registration hasn't opened yet. lol). Yes, this will be my first Ultra.

      Delete
  3. Wow, a 55K is so impressive. Sounds like a great week. I have never tried using yogurt starter - loos pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won a yogurt maker a few years ago, but before that I hadn't ever really considered making yogurt at home.

      Delete
  4. I didn't do too much this weekend, but I did watch the track and field competition on NBCSports. It's time for winter competitions and I like watching those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool! It's nice to just have a relaxing weekend now and again.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like your training is off to a great start! Looks like you have a solid plan in place. That trail really looks amazing...so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janelle! I'm just rolling with it, so I hope that the training program is sufficient.

      Delete
  6. Wow! An ultra! Very impressive. I'm not sure this old body could handle that distance. I love your goal to discover a new trail each month. We have nothing like your scenic trails around here. Thanks for linking, Clarinda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not quite sure this old body can handle it, either, but I won't know unless I try. :-)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on taking the plunge on the Ultra!
    I've never seen a yogurt starter before. That is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope that the training goes well enough for me to stick to it. :-)

      I won a yogurt maker a few years ago and had to figure out how to use it. lol. Thanks when I discovered yogurt starter.

      Delete