Sunday, January 22, 2017

Week in Review - 1/22

You know how they say, all's well that ends well? I had a fabulous Sunday (so far) and it blurs out all the rest of the week. I can't even remember if it was an overall good or bad week, that's how overshadowing today's trail run was.

More on that below....

Week in Review - 01/22/16

Monday, 1/16

The Plan ↠ NTC | The Circuit Breaker
Reality  ↠ Done!
Squats, planks, push-ups and MORE! Felt good to move.


Tuesday, 1/17

The Plan ↠ Rest
Reality ↠ Rest - with a little foam rolling
My hip flexors were quite tight & sore after Sunday's 10 mile trail run.


Wednesday, 1/18

The Plan ↠ Recovery Run | 3.5 miles | 10:50 pace
Reality ↠ Recovery Run | 4.1 miles | 10:15 pace
I had to force myself out the door for this one. It was 38F and that just seemed incredibly cold to me that morning. Plus, my hip flexors were still recovering. But, I bundled up and got it done. It turned out to be a pretty decent run. I felt good. :-)


Thursday, 1/19

The Plan ↠ Rest
Reality ↠ Rest
I slept in until 6AM; I normally get up at 5, but I was feeling so drained and needed a little more rest. This rest day was the end of my current Nike+ Get More Fit plan.


I really enjoy these plans. They are a good mix of running, strength training and rest. They incorporate different types of runs as well. I like having the schedule all mapped out for me, so I don't really have to think about it much. I just check the app and do what it tells me to do.

Several weeks of the plan were during the #RWRunStreak from Thanksgiving to New Years. In fact, I started it on Thanksgiving as a complement to the streak, but it meant doing a little extra.

I ended up with 47 workouts out of 31 on the schedule and ran 88.49 miles out of 31.75. Granted many of the runs in the program were for time or speed intervals. Since they didn't have a distance goal, they weren't included in the 31.75. My average pace was really affected by the slow, slow runs with Sallie during the streak. I took her with me on most of my Rest day runs and our pace was usually 13+ minute miles. She likes to sniff. A lot. :)

Come back on Tuesday to find out what my next training plan looks like.


Friday, 1/20

The Plan ↠ No plan
Reality ↠ Power Yoga for Love, Love, Love (YouTube video)
After taking a couple rest days this week, I couldn't allow myself another one, so I did a 25 minute yoga video. Better than nothing. :)


Saturday, 1/21

The Plan ↠ No plan
Reality ↠ Vinyasa to Exhilarate (YouTube video)
I really enjoyed this practice, but I had a LOT of breathing issues. I couldn't seem to catch my breath. :( My balance was a bit off during the tree poses, too. I'll definitely have to give this one another shot!


Sunday, 1/22

The Plan ↠ No plan
Reality ↠ Trail run - 8.00 miles | 13:55 pace
OMG! I know it's only Jan 22nd, but I really think this run will be a contender for Best of 2017! I felt a little slower out there. But not for the reasons you may think. It wasn't because I was tired or sore. It wasn't the wind or the rain.

Okay, maybe it was the rain. In that, the rain brought out all the colors of the trail.

McCullough Hills Trail

The greens and yellows of the bushes. The red of the ground. I couldn't help but stop to take pictures.

McCullough Hills Trail

It was like a whole new trail. Not the same trail I had just run last week and many times before. There were twists and turns that should have been familiar but looked so different in the rain. To say it was amazing would be an understatement. It will be hard to resist another rainy run out on this trail.

Jan 16-22


Clean It Out, Use it Up update

Week 3:  Canned Apple Pie Filling, which I used to make Apple Pie Bars.


These didn't turn out nearly as pretty as the Pinterest pics. And they aren't even close to healthy, but it's nice to have that can out of the cupboard. I really don't know why it was there in the first place. Hello, high fructose corn syrup. Blech.

It's not going to be 52 weeks of winners, I guess. :-) These actually do taste better than they look.

What was the highlight of your week last week?


I'm linking up today with Tricia & Holly for the Weekly Wrap as well as Ilka & Angela for Sunday Fitness & Food.

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

22 comments:

  1. Overall not a great week, but not terrible, either. My runs with Bandit can be slow, too -- I run/ walk, though, so I just pause my watch when he wants to pee on every mailbox. Which he wants to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's smart! I track with my phone, so sometimes it's a real hassle to pause. lol.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful place to run!!! I can't complain about my week at all. The weather was warm, even if it was cloudy and that is a win for January in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally, it's just desert. But it really came ALIVE today. :)

      Delete
  3. It's amazing how a great run can make everything else fade away. I love when the scenery stops me in my tracks. Sometimes I have to limit the number of photos stops I make so I actually get my run done. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what was happening today. I kept having to tell myself to just keep running. I wanted to stop literally every few steps!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on completing your Nike + Get more fit plan. I may have to look into that. I bet it did hold you accountable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the variety of workouts - and not having to think about what to do on any given day. If you use the Nike+ app, I definitely recommend doing one of their programs.

      Delete
  5. The colors seen on your trail run are quite unusual (at least for me) but very pretty. Oh how I wish we had trails around here! I've never looked at the Nike+ Fit Plans. It sounds like they are definitely worth checking out. Thanks for linking, Clarinda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely desert colors, but I love them!!

      If you use the Nike+ app, definitely check out the training programs. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow! Gorgeous trail! My week was crapola but the weekend was awesome so I'm going with the all's well that ends well sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Amazing how a great weekend can wash away an entire bad week.

      Delete
  7. That trail looks amazing!! So colorful and vibrant...it's so gray and dull in the trails around here in Philly! Great job with your workouts! It's been a long time since I've checked out the Nike Training App, I know they have so many options available!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's often a bit gray and dull here, too, but the rain just brought out all.the.colors! :-)

      Delete
  8. I can't wait for spring when colors will pop up on the running trail. The trees are bare, but that did let the sun through to keep me warm while running. There was a breeze, which was chilly in the shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing beats the warm winter sun shining through the trees. :)

      Delete
  9. Your trail run looks so pretty!! I cannot wait for the leaves to change here on the NorthEast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed a little boring the week before, but was completely transformed in the rain!

      Delete
  10. Great job on finishing your plan! I didn't know Las Vegas ever got into the 30s! That's cold. Your trail run sounds absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for validating me when I say that 30s are cold. :-)

      It was such an amazing run!

      Delete
  11. What a pretty trail! The weather was warm here which brought in some severe storms, actually which produced deadly tornado's. I got really scared Saturday night because we were in the camper.

    ReplyDelete