Tuesday, January 24, 2017

What's Your Limit?

Limits.

We all have them, but as runners, we sure do like to push them, don't we? It's what makes us stronger, right?

Please tell me I'm right. :-) Otherwise, what you're about to read isn't just crazy, but crazy stupid.

Limits, like fear, are often an illusion. ~Michael Jordan


I have a hard time defining my limits. I tend to have a pretty laissez-faire approach to running and fitness. But that's all about to change. At least for the next couple months.

I mentioned on Sunday that today I'd share with you what was next for me.

{deep breath}

Here goes...

I've decided to train for a 55k trail race.

What the what?!

I know. It's completely crazy.

But an optional goal for 2017 is to hike the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim, and running an ultra in the beginning of April seems like a great benchmark to see if I'll be able to do the Grand Canyon in early June.

So, I'm giving it a try. I wasn't going to say anything on the blog, but I thought I might get questions as my weekly mileage starts jumping, so I'm throwing it out there.

The race is April 8th and it's out on the trails I ran Sunday (and the weekend before). I'll be spending most weekends out there now for the next couple months.



I've designed my own training program, since I don't have the time / number of weeks necessary to train as professional ultra runners suggest. I'll be increasing my running, of course. I'll also be including strength training 2-3 times a week and will be focusing a lot on foam rolling on my rest days. Probably throw in a little yoga here and there as well.

I won't be training to win (obviously); I'll be training to take the full time limit - 10 hours.

And since I don't really have the recommended base to tackle an ultra, I'll be listening hard to my body. If training doesn't go as well with my body as it does in my mind, I'll cut back and do a shorter distance.

But, sometimes, it's nice to shoot for the moon and push our limits, right?!


I haven't actually registered for this race yet. I need just a smidge more volunteer credit to cover the cost. 😉

Do you push your limits? How?
Have you ever run an ultra?
What's the biggest, scariest goal you've ever set? Did you accomplish it?


I'm linking up with Marcia, Patty, and Erika for Tuesday's on the Run. This week's topic is "What’s your limit on what you’ll spend on a race?" I obviously played around with the topic a bit. 😏

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

14 comments:

  1. How exciting! IF I were to do an ultra, and that's a big if since I have no desire, the Grand Canyon is where I'd want to do it. All the best with your journey toward tackling this goal. My scariest goal to date still has to go to triathlon. Because swimming and I don't mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon? It is so much more amazing than I imagined. I've only ever been at the top looking across the canyon, but hiking through it would be an incredible experience, so I'm hoping that this 55k will help me prepare and give me the confidence to do the hike.

      Delete
  2. I think the scariest goal was doing my first half marathon. I'd never done more than 5 miles at a time, and I had no idea if I could do it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lesley! I think the first time doing any distance is a little scary. Nice job running your first half. I bet it's led to many more. ;)

      Delete
  3. Running my first half was actually pretty scary.

    And I still haven't tackled a longer distance! Good luck with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now look at you and your passion of half marathons! I really do love that distance.

      Delete
  4. Wow!! That's so exciting! I'm more intrigued by trail running lately ... once I'm done chasing some road prs, I look forward to running more trails. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while, but I've really come to love hitting the trails. They'll be waiting for you after you chasing those road PRs. ;-)

      Delete
  5. That's awesome that you've signed up for an ultra, it sounds like it'll be an amazing experience! I look forward to following your training :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't quite signed up yet, but I'm excited for the training and the possibility of signing up. :-)

      Delete
  6. The training itself sounds rewarding! I'd be all over that. I don't know about an ultra--I don't think I want to push my body that hard, but I'm excited to live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm really looking forward to the training. :-) Hoping my body keeps up with me.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like an awesome race! I sure wish I was there and could run it with you. I look forward to hearing about your training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could run it with me, too. But hopefully, it will lead me to hiking the Grand Canyon with you. :-)

      Delete