Tuesday, January 3, 2017

#RWRunStreak Recap

I'm linking up today with MarciaPatty, & Erika for Tuesdays on the Run. This week's topic is Running Resolutions and Goals. Since I shared my 2017 goals yesterday, I thought I'd do a little recap of the winter #RWRunStreak that ended on January 1st.


Let's just begin by saying that I am not a streaker. I 💛 my rest days! But I'm also kind of a sucker for a good challenge, so I do enjoy the Runner's World Run Streaks and try to do them when I can. I think this was the first year that I did both the summer and winter streaks. Pretty exciting. 😉

My only goal for this streak was to RUN every day.

I know that sounds obvious, but when I did the summer streak, I walked many of the days. For winter, I decided that my rest days would be easy 1-milers with Sallie.

She has gotten very pokey, so our runs were like 13-15 minute miles.
I didn't actually do the math.

You see, I also started a Nike+ Get More Fit training program the same day, so I had some direction throughout the streak. I really think that helped to make this streak go by so quickly.

Towards the end, I was waking up a bit stiff and wobbly, but other than that, it really seems like the streak just got started.

Want to see some numbers?
Total miles for the streak - 61
Total time running - 13 hours, 32 minutes, 55 seconds
Average pace - 13:20 min/mile

I also tried to run with CharityMiles as often as possible.

My two charities for the streak were:
Habitat for Humanity - 20.11 miles
ASPCA - 19.28

Which means that that 21.61 miles didn't go to any charity. I started the app most runs, but sometimes my app would fail to actually track the run. Booooo.

I was hoping to finish it out with a something a little more significant than the same old one mile route, but well, I didn't. I got a cold a few days before the streak ended and it took everything I had to get out the door at all the last few days.

All-in-all, I'm really pleased with how this streak went. Of all the RW Run Streaks I've finished, I think this is the one I've finished the strongest. Whoo hoo!!

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

13 comments:

  1. Great job on the Run Streak! I haven't done one since winter 2014 I think...if not 2013! It was such a great way to stay motivated. I need to check out Charity Miles, it's such a great idea and easy way to support worthy causes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually take the streaks pretty easy, but maybe I should push myself one round. Charity Miles does make it so easy to give!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the run streak. I have never done one. I do not think I would do very well on one. Great job doing the charity miles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the streak and I love the charities you chose! I've never done a streak. I think I'd fall apart. :P Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chose ASPCA when Sallie ran with me, and Habitat for Humanity because it's cold out. 😊

      Delete
  4. I like my rest days too. I've never done a running streak so I can enjoy my non-running days but I do plenty on those days too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'll admit there are definitely days when I rest completely, but they are kinda rare (thank goodness!).

      Delete
  5. I'm SO not a streaker, but GO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, I am NOT a streaker either, but have done the RW streaks (this was my fourth time dong the winter steak). This was also the easiest one for me to do (probably because I was so focused on recovering from my marathon, I kept the mileage very conservative). I was able to do all of my runs outside except for one day when it was 30-below ZERO (I 'milled three miles that day). Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that I live in Vegas, so I can run outside all winter long. 😉

      Delete
  7. I try to do this streak every year. Then I make myself skip January 2nd so that it doesn't become a real streak. My body needs its rest days.

    Congrats on finishing!

    ReplyDelete