Sunday, June 30, 2013

July is Going to be a GREAT Month!

Before I get into all the exciting things I have planned for July, let's do a quick recap of June...and my 2013 goals. :-)

June goals:
1. Continue streaking - Still going strong on this one. I've got four more days to go, and then I'll do a full write-up with all my thoughts on streaking. :-)

2. Push-up challenge - Another successful challenge. Ok. I missed one day. But I'm still totally calling it a win!!

3. Enjoy summer - Hard not to call this a success as well. I do think I spent some time each weekend at the pool or on the patio. This might also be due to the fact that it got HOT in Vegas, and we're super cheap and avoid turning on the chiller unless absolutely necessary.

The final two days of June...

DateCardioPush-upsStrength TrainingCommute
Sat
6/29
2.25 Mile Run
50
WEEKEND
Sun
6/30
3.1 Mile Run
REST
WEEKEND

2013 goals:
1. Run faster - I'm getting there. I've managed a couple sub-8:00 miles now, but I've been unable to maintain that pace much longer than a mile - let alone 3. I haven't really been working much on speed with the streak, though. And the heat.

2. Eat healthier - I'm feeling really good about eating healthier - not so good about posting recipes, though. There are definitely people that eat better than me, and I definitely still occasionally go to McDonald's when I don't feel like making dinner, but overall, I'm loving my progress and the choices I've been making.

3. Train harder - Definitely need to bring this up at notch. If I flex super hard, I can see some definition in my biceps, but my triceps are still driving me crazy. It's so much easier to find time for a run than to do strength training. Booo!!

4. Read more - Um. I don't think I've cracked a book or turned on my Kindle in months. Oops!

5. Serve more - This one has been a bit of a bust too. I haven't even really been doing Charity Miles lately.

I can hardly believe that half the year is already over. Where does the time go?

Well, I'm kicking off the 2nd half of the year with some exciting challenges.

You already know a little about my Core/Balance Challenge.


I really wanted to do something to focus on my core. It is definitely an area I want to strengthen. Everyone usually says how great planks are for core and overall strength, but I wanted something more, so I asked in the FitFluential Yoga group for favorite core positions in yoga. I got a resounding BOAT POSE! I think in other circles it might also be called a v-sit. If you're unfamiliar with this pose, here's a link with step-by-step instructions for how to get into the pose.

One of my favorite poses is the Superman, so I decided to alternate this with the boat pose to further strengthen my back. You can find a description for how to do this pose here.

Lastly, I decided to throw in one balance pose to focus on each week - starting with something relatively easy, Tree Pose. Headstands scare the devil out of me, so I decided it was time to conquer them!

I'm really excited about this challenge, and I'd LOVE for you to join me. Feel free to post pics or videos and use the hashtag #corebalancechallenge.

This leads me to my 2nd challenge in July - 31 Days of Yoga. A few weeks ago, I decided that after finishing this run streak, I would take a few weeks off to allow my legs and mind to recover from running every day. When I stumbled upon this yoga challenge, I knew it would be perfect!

My 3rd challenge for July is to spend some time in the pool every single day. It's hot here (hello, Vegas!), and I have access to three outdoor pools at my apartment complex, so I decided to take advantage of them - especially since I'll be on a bit of a running hiatus. I'm not much of a swimmer, so I'm hoping to put together some non-swimming workouts to try out in July. Stay tuned.

The best part about this 3rd challenge is that I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do all 31 days with Jeff. He is truly a water baby, so I don't think it will be too difficult to get him to join me in the pool.

What do you have planned for July?


Other ways to follow Enjoying the Course:
Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Pinterest → clarindad

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

10 comments:

  1. Good luck with your challenges! I can't believe that the year is half over either! I could really use a yoga challenge, but I want to get through my half marathon on the 7th before I start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! Good luck on your half marathon on the 7th. I'm hoping to get a good strong core before I start training in August for my next big race. :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck on your challenges! Boat pose is fantastic for the core (and one of my least favorite poses - my hamstrings just don't want to extend!). My yoga practice has kind of gone my the way side. Maybe I need to join the 31 days of yoga to give it a jump start?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh july.
    I CAN NOT NOT NOT believe how you snuck up on me.
    I must get to planning.
    STAT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did kind of come out of nowhere, but it's going to be great!

      Delete
  4. oooh i want to do a handstand challenge in july! that sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was gonna ask, what time do you run when in vegas? Caliente!
    I was just thinking about a new Yoga book I have to read. Thinking after all today's training, its gonna be a stay in - dinner, a movie, a little light reading and/or journaling. Relaxing. And hopefully sleeping in tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my runs were around 5:30 or 6:00am or inside on the treadmill.

      Sounds like a wonderful time you've got planned!

      Delete