Wednesday, November 13, 2013

An Epiphany about Produce

November is moving right along!

November 13: An epiphany you had this summer



Runners often joke about being able to eat whatever we want.

Will run for ice cream. Will run for cupcakes. I thought you said rum.

But most runners recognize the importance of proper fueling - not just during the long runs, but always. There are lots of theories out there on what exactly is the best way to eat.

No matter what you choose - paleo, low carb, clean, etc - fresh produce is probably a key component.

CONFESSION: The produce department freaks me out.

I realized this summer just how intimidating the produce department is for me. I want to eat more veggies. I really do. They make me feel so clean and healthy.

But I can't stomach buying produce. There are so many choices, and I don't always know what they are or what to choose. I find myself just grabbing some bananas, packaged salad mix, maybe a couple roma tomatoes, and getting the hell out of there.

Becaue of this, it seems we really only have fresh produce during the weeks that we purchase a Bountiful Basket. I ♥ Bountiful!

Mostly because it takes the stress and anxiety out of produce shopping. Plus I get to try new things that I'd never try on my own.




Where do you get your produce?
Does the produce dept freak out anyone else?


Other ways to follow Enjoying the Course:
Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

9 comments:

  1. I love bountiful baskets too! I stopped for a few weeks because I felt like we were throwing a lot of stuff away but I think I'm ready to try again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get it every week, and we stopped for awhile because we were getting so many onions! But I always miss it on the weeks we skip.

      Delete
  2. I buy as much of my produce as I can at local weekend markets and at my favorite produce markets. In the dead of winter though, I am at the mercy of grocery stores. But I LOVE fresh produce - all kinds of freggies for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freggies are the BEST! :) I just wish they weren't so intimidating to me.

      Delete
  3. The produce dept is my favorite part of grocery shopping. We have a local store, Jungle Jims, that has a ginormous produce department and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to gravitate towards the same things in the produce isle. I am not very adventurous when it comes to veggies;) Bountiful baskets sound like a great way to try new things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sisters absolutely love Bountiful Baskets, they have been trying to get me to try them for over a year now:) I really should get on that:)

    ReplyDelete