Sunday, November 17, 2013

Saturday Fun - A race and an Expo

My alarm went off at 3:15am. I lied in bed for another 10-15 minutes. I was excited, but I still didn't quite want to get out of my warm bed.

Luckily, I'd set everything out before bed, so I didn't figure it would take me too long to get ready.

I headed out to my car shortly after 4am when I realized I hadn't eaten anything, so I rushed back inside to grab some PB bread and a banana.

And I was off to Mandalay Bay to pick up a total stranger my new friend, Crystal. We connected through the FB event page in the interest of carpooling the hour to Valley of Fire from Vegas.

After a little hiccup finding each other, we were off!

We were one of the first to arrive. We got all checked in and headed back to the car to keep warm and prep for the race. As you know, I decided to switch from the Half to the 10K, but then I saw the back of the shirt.


If you follow me on FB or Twitter, you know what happened next.

Yep, I switched from the 10k back to the Half. I had to earn that shirt! LOL.

Lesson learned: If you drive a Half Fanatic to a race, you're not going to get away with running a 10K.

Teasing, of course, but she did help convince me to go for the Half. It was 100% awesome, and I'm so glad I made the switch. 

**Full recap on the race tomorrow.** 
First, let's talk about the RnR Las Vegas expo.

I'd never really been to a huge expo like this before. Crystal is running Strip at Night tonight. She wanted to hit the expo after our half, and so did I, so we headed right there. Well, we stopped at my apartment first and then walked to the convention center.

Unfortunately, my phone was down to 15% after the race, and I'd forgotten my charger, so I couldn't charge it on the drive home. I really wish I'd had it at the expo. Oh well.

So much fun!

First stop was the Brooks Run Happy Island, where we each won a tee.


Then we stood in line to spin the wheel at Jamba Juice, and we each won a free smoothie. Score!

My intention was to get new shoes with the $100 Visa Gift Card I'd received from my co-workers on Friday, and Crystal had other things to check out, so we separated.

I was walking around trying to find a good deal on shoes, but they were all just so expensive and the booths selling them were so busy. Finally I stopped at the Red Rock Running Company booth. After talking to the guy there, he convinced me to stick with the Wave Sayonara.
Why mess with a shoe that works for you? Have you had any injuries?
Well, I've recently had some shin pain.
90% of the time that's caused by a change in your daily running. You shouldn't blame the shoes.
You know, it did start shortly after incorporating some serious hills into my running plan.
And so, I decided to walk around the expo and see what else I could spend my money on. LOL.

Let the shopping begin...

I spinned another wheel at Skirt Sports and won an additional 5% off, so I picked up these pretty pink arm warmers.


There were a LOT of booths selling headbands. I love the wider headbands that cover my forehead and wick away sweat. I found this super fun one for only $5 at Hippie Runner.


The ONE booth I wanted to check out was Sparkle Athletic. I've followed them on Twitter for a while, and they always seem like so much fun! I wanna join #TeamSparkle.

And now I can.


I was very happy with all my purchases. I had no idea what time it was, since my phone was home charging, but I figured it was time to head home.

On my way to find the exit, I stumbled upon this booth.


I mean how awesome is this company name - Women Having Optimistic Objectives & Healthy Attitudes, Whooha! It spoke to me so loudly that I simply could NOT leave without shopping.

I found this awesome long sleeve top in the sale bucket for only $15.


And this hoodie that I LOVE and not just because after trying the large and medium it was the small that fit best was a bit of a splurge at $40, but like I said I LOVE it, so I couldn't resist.


Now, I'm really off to the exit.

But wait! This booth has $10 tech shirts! Ok. Twist my arm.


What's this at the cash register?


A magnet for a Half at the LV Motor Speedway? They're offering $15 off registration TODAY ONLY? I can sign up right over there? What?

So, I sat down at the booth and hemmed and hawed about spending $70. I rarely spend that much money without consulting Jeff and I didn't have my phone. ARGH!!

But it was $70 TODAY ONLY and it was a local, ONE-TIME event.

Yep. I totally signed up. And got another free tee.


You could say I had a great time meandering around the expo, checking out the booths, trying samples, entering giveaways, and shopping.

But the best thing that happened?
I was recognized by a Twitter follower! How awesome is that?!

Do you enjoy race expos or do you just pick up your packet and skip the crowds?
Have you ever been recognized by someone you'd never met in person?


Other ways to follow Enjoying the Course:
Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

2 comments:

  1. Dang, you did good at the expo!! That's awesome that you singed up for the Mustang half! My friend Julie, is thinking about going to Vegas to do that one. So cool that you met George too. I have yet to have someone recognize me from my blog. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I'm pretty happy with the deals I found at the expo. :) Maybe you should join your friend in April!! LOL. It should be fun.

      Delete