Friday, November 1, 2013

4 Lessons I've Learned about Running

I feel like this year has really just flown by! Only 2 more months of 2013. Wow.

I've got a half marathon in a few weeks, and a full a few weeks after that, so lots of fun things still to come this year.

Other than continuing my marathon training, I'm hoping to join Running with Ollie and A Happy Girl for a 30-day blogging challenge. The challenge is to blog every day in November, and A Happy Girl was sweet enough to provide writing prompts each day.

November 1: One of the best lessons life has shown you.


Since this is primarily a running blog, it makes sense to share the lessons I've learned from running.

Do what you love.

I'm not sure why I love running so much. Sometimes it hurts. Sometimes it takes a long time. But I really do love it - even when I don't always recognize it. There are lots of options out there for being healthy and working that cardio, but I choose running. It will always be my first choice. Even when others might try to convince me to do more variety.

Listen to your body.

Running will always be my first choice, but that means I still need to listen to my body. She will tell me when she needs a rest. She will tell me when it's OK to push a little harder. Thankfully, I've never experienced a serious injury. Just minor aches and tweaks. And a long spell of nasty shin splints. I'm glad I've learned this listening lesson before experiencing any major issues.

Be flexible.

I'm in the midst of training for marathon #3. My first marathon in 10 years. Training is hard! And, sticking to a training plan is just as difficult now as it was in my mid-20s. Sometimes more so, because now I'm married and need to consider my time a little more carefully. Sometimes training doesn't go as planned, and you've got to be willing to roll with it. Make changes as you listen to your body or as life throws you curveballs.

Runners are awesome.

Most of my runs are solo, but the running community is so awesome and supportive and friendly. I love crossing paths with my fellow runners. A simple hello or slight wave can really buoy my running spirits. During races, you'll almost always make conversation with random strangers on the course. Not to mention, all the support and motivation from the running community online. Yay for running bloggers!

If you're a runner, what lessons have you learned from running?
If you're not a runner, what's the best life lesson you've learned?

Twitter → @EnjoytheCourse
Instagram → enjoyingthecourse
Facebook → EnjoyingtheCourse
Google+ → Enjoying the Course
Pinterest → clarindad

6 comments:

  1. Best running lesson is that everyone has bad runs even the best of us, and to not give up or get discouraged when it happens:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Yes, that is a good one. Very important to remember. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the way you've interpreted this series to fit your own blog's theme. :)
    Looking forward to seeing the rest of your posts too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete